I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Titan or Wire
Posted by: Denis Labrecque (---.bp.com)
Date: June 30, 2005 02:35PM

About to build a DC SigV 6wt, in planning the build I now have both TITAN and single foot wire guides to build with. I know weight is the best way to kill the action of a good rod, and the Ttitans seem to weigh a bit more. But is the benefit of Ceramic guides worth the added weight, or should I use the wire guides for the last 3-5 runners and the Titans in the lower section, or just 1 or the other?

Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Titan or Wire
Posted by: Daniel Axelrod (204.134.52.---)
Date: June 30, 2005 02:55PM

There was a post yesterday about mixing ceramics on the bottom section and wire on the top as you've suggested. That may be the way to go, I'd try and find that post.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: June 30, 2005 03:31PM

Yes, search down the list for the thread I started yesterday. The bottom line is there are pros and cons for all guide types. The lightest ceramics are not as light as the lightest wire and the slickest wire are not as slick as ceramics. So, you really just have to make up your mind what features and trade-offs you are going to make to give you the rod you want. Performance, cost, spacing and location, blank type (power and action), and aesthetics all come into play, as well as others I'm sure. There were some interesting posts on that thread yesterday and food for thought.

Posted by: Denis Labresque (---.bp.com)
Date: June 30, 2005 03:41PM

Just found the post (thanks). I wonder if Dan Craft has an opinion? With an ERA of 7.7 would this suggest the SigV is able to carry the added weight of the Titans without much negative effect?

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: June 30, 2005 03:55PM

Yes, because of both the ERN and the fact that the AA is in the mid-60s or so and not one of the extremely soft-tipped rods. I've used that exact rod before - you will have a very sweet rod if you build that with Titans or other very light ceramics. And that blank is certainly worth the extra money in guides.

Posted by: Denis Labrecque (---.bp.com)
Date: June 30, 2005 03:55PM

ERA of 7.7, ERN of 7.7. I need some time off!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster