I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

U-40 perma- gloss
Posted by: Paul Williams (63.166.216.---)
Date: June 30, 2005 10:58AM

I have tried using perma-gloss for finishing wraps, but so far I have managed to mess up some wraps I was previously pleased with. I used the finish as instructed on the bottel and applied the coats as thin as I could, BUT I'm still getting bubbles. Other than using heat to get the bubbles out is there some thing I can do with the finish to get a clear glass result? I also use the perma-gloss on the blank itself to gloss it up, and have had wounderful results. Is that what the product is meant for or am I just missing some thing with the wraps? I will be greatful for any advise or constuctive criticisms. Thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U-40 perma- gloss
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: June 30, 2005 11:17AM

Permagloss should work well to coat wraps if you apply it in coats that only cover the existing surface but it will take several coats to build up to the point that the wrap is smooth. I seldom use it for this purpose as it may require seven or more coats to accomplish what one coat of epoxy will do. I do use it for my base coat as it penetrates the wrap well and secures the wraps to prevent further guide movement. By just allowing the base coat to soak into the wrap without attempting to apply enough for a noticeable build up I have no bubble problem and feel that I have eliminated a possible bubble source that could be a problem when I apply epoxy.
I'm puzzled by your problem with bubbles as I haven't experienced one using it.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: June 30, 2005 12:20PM

MAybe th ebubbles are formed by whatever you are using to apply teh epoxy? A paintbrush might cause this, if you are using a brush, make sure you wick it off after each guide.

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.pppoe.mtu-net.ru)
Date: June 30, 2005 01:18PM

Paul,

On my experience, you can get bubbles in Permagloss when you try to apply too much of it with one coat. Just try to apply less...

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: June 30, 2005 01:38PM

Billy and Pavel may have the solution for you. I apply permagloss with a large sewing needle
and just let it flow into place.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2005 01:40PM by Stan Grace.

Date: June 30, 2005 01:44PM

Thanx, Stan
Will try it. Although, now I've already solved the problem for myself. Just not trying to put as much PG at once as I usually do with epoxy. I found that it's what was the reason...

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 30, 2005 01:50PM

Pavel, whatever you do, don't put the torch to Permagloss; it's flammable (believe me, I had the WHOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAA happen to me; the "Big Eyes" phenomenen). LOL

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: June 30, 2005 02:04PM

Sure, Randy. I never even thought about it because I've red all the cautions on the bottle before using it at very first time :)

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Posted by: Paul Williams (63.166.216.---)
Date: July 01, 2005 07:30AM

Thanks again for the info. Stan, I tried the big needle trick. You da man. Putter, I to found out the hard way not to "TORCH" PG. I burned a fly rod in half before getting the flam out.

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (204.73.103.---)
Date: July 01, 2005 08:02AM

Perma-Gloss is my finish of choice. I have been using it on most of my rods for th last 5 plus years. It is tougher and more flexible than any epoxy. It is crystal clear and never yellows. The first rods I used it on look like the were done yesterday. The only draw backs I can think of are the smell and the clarity. Because the finish is so clear the thread under the finish will fade if exposed to a lot of uv. I put the first coat on my wraps so heavy that I have to keep the rod rotating fairly rapidly to keep it from dripping off. This coat is allowed to dry for at least 24 hours. The next coats are thin coats and I allow them to dry for at least 6 hours. The only time I have gotten bubbles is when I have tried to recoat to soon, before the solvent has had a chance to evaporate. I use a soft brush a usually apply 3-4 coats. I think the key to a good wrap is the first heavy coat.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: July 01, 2005 10:46AM

Jim just made a great point. Along with the thin coats you need to be sure evaporation is complete. Apply too quickly and the underlying layer may expell gasses into the fast setting top coat. I have found that this is where alot of bubbles come from when using Permagloss.

As thin as Permagloss is I would think it is near impossible to get bubbles because or your application tool.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster