I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Antique Rod Restoration
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2005 01:08AM

My father in-law just gave me an old 3pc bait casting rod made by the
Gephart Mfg. Co.
I suspect it is a rare find and might be worth a pretty penny if were not
in such very poor condition. My question is: Would a collector prefir the
rod as is regardless of condition or would restoring it increase it's value?
I know some collectibles are ruined if they are messed with while others
don't have that problem. How about collectible fishing rods?

Also, mounted on the rod was a Johnson Mod. 22 reel the likes I have
never seen. It has the shape of a fly reel and functions like a push button
spin-cast reel with the mono exiting a hole in the side plate.

Has anyone seen a reel like this? Any idea as to it's value? Seems to be
in good condition.

Thanks,
Raymond

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Antique Rod Restoration
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 30, 2005 10:42AM

Restorations don 't harm the value if they are very, very good restorations. In other words, if you can tell the rod has been restored - you do not have a good restoration. Any deviation from what the rod looked like originally would certainly drop the value in the eyes of a serious collector.

The cost to restore a rod perfectly may be more than the rod itself is worth, or at least may require enough that the added value it then adds isn't enough to really be worth your while. If you want to sell the rod, I would seek out a collector and leave the rod as is, for now, until you find out more about it.

The reel is fairly common as far as antique reels go. I've seen them priced anywhere from $5 to $50 depending on condition.

Re: Antique Rod Restoration
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2005 08:51PM

Thanks Tom,

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster