I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting Light Lures
Posted by: Ryan Rossiter (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: June 29, 2005 12:11PM

What will cast a light lure better? A fast action or moderate action rod?

Ryan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting Light Lures
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (162.136.193.---)
Date: June 29, 2005 12:42PM

For what it's worth, I asked a well known rod builder the same question two years ago and he recommended a St. Croix AVID 3S70MLF blank. I spiral wrapped fit or baitcasting and matched it with a Shimano Scorpion 1000 reel, it will cast a 1/8 oz lure to my satisfaction, my conclusion-go FAST action.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2005 01:08PM

Ryan,
If all the other variables are held constant, length, power, etc. a faster action angle rod will cast well a wider range of weights than a slower action angle rod will but a slower action angle rod will outcast a faster one if the weight is well matched to the rod. So I guess the answer is it depends mainly on the power of the rod and the weight being cast. If you look at tournament distance casting rods they are relatively slow or low action angle rods.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: June 29, 2005 01:08PM

I agree with ray about the blank, but I cant say about the action really. I have two rods one in 66 and one in 7 built on St. Croix's MLF blank. Although it is technically a fast action blank it doesnt seem fast when it is loaded up. When I cast a light bait the rod seems to load up more like a moderate action blank than a fast action blank. Perhaps someone with more technical knowledge can chime in.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2005 01:38PM

Scott,
You are right if you are comparing to a moderate action rod that has too much power for the weight of the lure but I think that you would find the opposite with a moderate action rod but with less power or that is better matched to the weight of the lure.
When you refer to the rod loading you are pointing to the main variable which is how much energy can you store up in the rod during the first part of the cast. In the second part of the cast this energy is then transferred mainly to the lure. A slower action rod that is well matched to the lure weight will store up more energy than a faster action rod will. Also naturally the lighter the lure the larger the effect that other variables like line weight, guide friction etc. will have.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: June 29, 2005 01:48PM

Another factor to keep in mind Scott is actual Action Angle versus manufacturer descriptions. Just because a blank or series of blanks is labeled fast or fast plus or moderate fast is generally not all that informative. They can often be all over the place. A look at the CCS database will confirm this. I agree with Emory that a fast action rod usually handles a wider range of lure weights better. Within the world of fly rods, a fast action rod often can perform well with a wide range of line weights whereas on a moderate action rod, you often only have one or two lines that hit the "sweet spot". A fast action allows you to cast strictly off the tip with light lures or with heavier lures you can tap into the middle more and still throw an accurate cast with good distance. I'd probably go fast action for small lures unless the only type you throw are small cranks or in-line spinners - then I'd go more moderate fast.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: June 29, 2005 02:24PM

To add another wrinkle in your consideration, it may also depend on how long your rod is. A 5'6" rod or a 8 foot rod can have the same amount of bend, and one would be moderate slow while the other may be fast. Yet both would have the same length that loads for that particular lure. I've been told that if you want to go longer for greater casting distance (i.e. 8feet or longer) then fast as the section that loads is still pretty long.

Mo

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2005 02:45PM

The power of the rod will pretty much determine that. For instance, a fast action surf rod rated to throw 6 ounces isn't likely to cast a light 1/8th ounce lure as well as a medium action light power spinning blank rated for 1/8th ounce lures. So settle on power, first.

Now if you have similar power and then put the question again - which will throw the specified weight better, that's a different thing. I can't much to what's been said here. Fast action rods will handle a wider weight range than medium action rods will. Generally anyway. I prefer faster action rods because they offer what I think is a "crisper" cast. If you want to skip lures in tight spots, under brush, etc., I'd opt for the faster action.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: June 29, 2005 05:30PM

Thanks for that info guys. Steve, Tom, Emory - That was probably the best explanation I could have ever hoped for.
Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster