I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

unibutt ferrule installation blooper
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.emrsn.com)
Date: June 29, 2005 09:56AM

I finished a 50# stand-up rod, when I mounted the reel and the unibutt, and lay it on the floor, I noticed a misalignment of the guides of about 3 degrees to the left from the centerline of the reel and the unibutt, looking at the assembly from the top. The guides are straight, its an obvious error when I installed the ferrule (I used PC7). This will not happen again, since I decided to leave the ferrule installation and alignment process for the end, with everything else mounted, including the reel.
But now, what are my options to fix this blooper?
Thanks to all !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: unibutt ferrule installation blooper
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2005 12:07PM

Cut the ferrule off with a spiral cut and install a new one. Or, remove all the guides and rewrap them. You may find that the cost of a new uni-butt ferrule pales next to the work of having to remove and rewrap all the guides.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.an2.dca16.da.uu.net)
Date: June 29, 2005 09:38PM

I did this once- sort of. I mounted a rod and it ended up coming out of the ferrule crooked- which was not noticeable until I mounted the ferrule back on the butt... I was pretty upset. I cut the blank off right above the ferrule, reamed the old chunk of blank out of the ferrule, and re-installed it. Lost 3" of length, but it cost nothing but time. It's easy to ream the old blank out with a dremel tool.

Date: June 30, 2005 08:57AM

Tom,
Are you recommending a spiral cut so I can pull out (i.e. unglue from the blank) the 'epoxied' ferrule and then sand away the excess epoxy on the blank end, re-prepare the surface for a new ferrule and install it, nothing but the old ferrule lost. Is this correct? The hard part will be pulling the cut ferrule apart from the blank, right ?

Mike,
I like your recommendation too, its definitely easier in terms of effort to what Tom is suggesting, but I need to verify with the customer if he can handle the ending 6'6'' stand-up rod, I am pretty sure he could, but the matter is if he wants it shorter than ordered.

Thanks for the feedback !!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 30, 2005 10:27PM

Once you pop the ferrule off you needn't remove the epoxy left on the blank. Just scuff it and glue on a new ferrule. You can epoxy directly onto the bushing of PC7, but use liquid type epoxy on that go around - you won't have enough clearance to use PC7 in there this time.

Date: July 01, 2005 08:36AM

Got it Tom ! I am going to try this first. Thank you again.

Date: July 06, 2005 01:21PM

Tom, Mike and all who read this post.

Cutting the ferrule with the dremmel tool was simpler that I thought.

I cut the bottom alignment piece of the ferrule with a hack saw
Then I used a dremmel cutting disc and started cutting up the ferrule in a spiral form, and was careful to cut only the aluminum on the ferrule without damaging the blank, and careful when I got close to the bottom end of the foregrip, so I did not cut it. The anodized nut ring was also cut with the dremmel tool.
Then I started prying out with pliers the glued cut piece of the ferrule and pulling it from the blank with pliers, this was a little tough but worked out well, the ferule was completely removed.
Then I sanded (turned on the lathe) the blank section with the old epoxy, just enough for the new ferrule to slip onto it easily, cleaned the new ferrule and glued it with rodbond to the blank end and made the final alignment and set for curing.

Thanks again to all contributors in this forum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster