I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Straight Guide Placement
Posted by: Ryan Mann (---.ptr.terago.ca)
Date: June 28, 2005 01:05PM

I just finished my first rod, and while it is very pretty, there are two guides that are slightly off kilter with the rest. I have no doubt that perfomance wont be affected, but it's one of those things that just wrecks the whole rod for me.

I'm building another one and I want it to be awesome and I'm sure that you all have some really slick method of lining up those guides so they're super straight.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ryan Mann

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Straight Guide Placement
Posted by: Larry Laurent (207.191.101.---)
Date: June 28, 2005 01:11PM

I sight down the blank with the guides on the bottom. As long as you see the same amount of guide sticking out on both sides of the blank, they are straight. Get them close before you wrap them, adjust a little if needed after you wrap them, and then finish them.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: June 28, 2005 01:45PM

I am sure there will be several ways given for this and if you do a search, you will also find many ways. I do the same as Larry. I get them close when wrapping them and then adjust them afterwards, sighting down the blank. I am not really sure there is a way to get them exactly all in line.

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 02:26PM

I follow the same process as the previous two gentlemen mention. It works the best for me. I would add however that you need to recheck the guide placement after you apply the color preserve. You stand a good chance of bumping a guide or two. Also, the CP causes the guide wraps to loosen slightly. Best to be safe then sorry. Once the CP dries, not much worry of the guides moving.

Kevin

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.ded.ameritech.net)
Date: June 28, 2005 04:36PM

You will feel a lot better if you remove the two that are "off" and re-wrap and re-finish them. Good practice for repairs later too.
Regards,
Kenneth Prager

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 28, 2005 05:55PM

Alinings guides, I hold the rod out at arms length, Now looking at the tip top guide, makeing sure it is straight I slowly tip the rod down so the next guide is in alignment with the tip top crown. I do this witheach guide . I align each guide crown. I never sight thru the center of the guides. Does any one else do it this way
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 07:06PM

Aside from keeping the guides on top I use the same method as the first three to answer. I also agree with Kenneth. I make sure the tip & butt guides are lined up as well as these eyes can get them, then from butt to tip one guide at a time, then look at each again and fine tune any that are not as close to perfect as I can get them. On a 9ft. fly rod this may take 20 or 30 min. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2005 08:24PM

Bob,
Your method will allign the guides so that they are all straight relative to each other even if the blank is not perfectly straight. The other methods outlined above will allign the guides directly over the top of the blank or straight relative to the blank but not necessarily straight relative to each other. Either approach will work but trying to do both on a blank that is not perfectly straight, and few are, will result in you chasing your tail around in a circle.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: June 29, 2005 11:43AM

After the tip top is glued on and the guides spaced, I wrap from the tip to the butt, lining each one with the tip top -- guides up - guides down using out side sunlight Check recheck, then check again
Those ones that are out of line may bother you, rewrap

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: June 29, 2005 01:37PM

Why align just once? I align them (roughly) with the tip top when I tape them to the blabk, then I align them again after I wrap, then I align them again after the CP is applied. I really do my best to avoid the feelings you describe -- "I feel your pain" -- having been there before. It's a good idea to remove and rewrap the crooked guides, as ther is nothing like piece of mind coupled with pride of accomplishment.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster