I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hook Keeper Location
Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 28, 2005 12:31PM

When using long leaders and the typical hook keeper at the handle the leader and tippet run clear back in the rod. I see people wrap their leader around the reel and back toward the tip and hook in an eylet. Don't think this a good idea for my ceramic guides. Workin on my first rod so pls cut me some slack. What are the drawbacks, if any, of mounting a collapsable hook keeper on top of the rod say half way up the rod? Perhaps even on opposite side of a guide already going to get epoxied? With good spacing of guides shouldn't be a line wrap problem and adding at a guide point not increasing the stiffness much, if any. Might look a bit odd...but would it work?
Thanks in advance for comments. I know they will be good info.
Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hook Keeper Location
Posted by: Scott Kinney (69.139.158.---)
Date: June 28, 2005 03:38PM

If you're going to put a hookeeper on the rod near the stripping guide, I'd suggest putting it on the righthand side, perhaps a tad toward the top. That way, it's 100% out of the way when casting. Now, if you're wronghanded, reverse the sides...

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 04:30PM

This is probably not a bad idea. Remember that the folding hookkeepers are only supposed to mounted one way, so make sure that is unfolds toward the reel seat.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 05:27PM

Jim:

I am of a contrarian opinion on this. The question I have for you is, "What damage do you think the fly hook will do to your ceramic guides?"

I have been building fly rods for over a decade and have used this methods of fastening the hook to a guide with 100% success. The guides are much harder than the hook steel and have not damaged them at all. Also, is there any real pull on the line and hook? No, it is just sufficient tension to hold the hook in place on the guide.

In my opinion, if you put a hook keeper on the rod at or above the stripper, you have a net negative, because of the weight you are adding. Initially I built my rods with a hook keeper, because I saw all the facory rods using them. Then I found a better way and have discarded the use of a hook keeper for myself. I will provide them for customers, because they pay extra for one. However, I counsel them that the hook keeper is not really necessary.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 28, 2005 05:33PM

I generally insert my hook point at the junction between reel foot and forward reel seat hood. It buries the hook so you don't stick yourself and there is no damage done to anything. But I understand that some customers just expect to have one on their rods.

I wouldn't put it up near the guides, however. Too much risk of the line flipping and catching on it. And, you need to mount it to the underside of the rod. That way, if the line does catch it, it'll fall right back off with no effort from the fisherman.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 05:49PM

I don't really see any gain in moving the hook keeper up near the guides. No matter where you place it it will never be perfect for every leader type or rig that you use. Placing wraps up farther on the blank will affect the weight and the action of the rod.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 06:45PM

I see no benefit in putting a hook keeper on a rod. When I put the fly rod down to move to the next spot I plan to fish, I reach up and hook the fly on a guide and place the line around the reel and reel up the slack, like Doug said. To go home I take off the fly and put line & leader on the reel. Before I learned the 'around the reel trick to keep kinks out of the leader I did it the way Tom said. I only put a hook keeper on any kind of rod if the customer wants one. This is just my preference. I think this is a "do it your way" subject. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 06:50PM

Gerry,

Just curious! Why do you put them folding toward the reelseat? I have never seen this before. I always have mine pointing towards the reel seat when closed so that it stands straight up when opened and the hook is held away from the blank. I'm always looking for a better way to do things.

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 07:16PM

I use the front hood of the reel seat like Tom. I try to get others to do the same. If they really want a hookkeeper, I have no choice but to put one on. When I do, I put it underneath, right in front of the fore grip on spinning and bait casters. Fly rods, just in front of the grip.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 28, 2005 11:49PM

Mike.....Gerry can surely answer for himself....I just wonder if he said the same thing as you did....just in a different way? Maybe.........Maybe not!

Doug....I have seen your comments before and they are worth a lot more than 2 cents IMHO.

I was thinking further up the rod even. Guess not a good idea. Was thinking that if it was on the exact opposite of a guide it could not line wrap at all.

But after reading all this.....I learnad at lot. I am going to save myself the time and effort and not put it on at all. Thanks

Jim

Oh...icw what damage to a ceramic rod? I dunno. 'tis my first rod and I read somewhere not to hook your fly on the guides because it would damage the guides. I just decided to order ceramic guides for my rod. I have zero experience with them.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2005 12:07AM

Thanks everyone for responding to Jim's post. I also don't use the hook keeper
on my rods either but I have often asked my self the same questions about them
that were discussed here. They do add a bit of "snap" to a well wrapped rod but
I have often wondered if it was worth it putting one on. Customers do like them
though!!

Raymond

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster