I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Even colored wrappings without CP
Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.ms.tut.fi)
Date: June 28, 2005 08:35AM

Hi.

Any tips how to get the epoxy thorougly penetrate the wrappings so that I get nice even look to them?

Cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Even colored wrappings without CP
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 28, 2005 08:45AM

Work quickly. As long as the epoxy is fairly thin, it will easily penetrate and you'll get an even darkening of the thread all across the wraps.

Date: June 28, 2005 08:59AM

Hi Tom,

so I need to mix the epoxy fairly quickly, not too quickly to cause bubbles of course, and place the stuff on aluminium foil which sits on a cooler to slow down the curing process. Does this sound right?

Cheers

Date: June 28, 2005 09:05AM

I would mix slowly for a full 4 minutes. Where you need to move quickly, is in applying the epoxy to your wraps. Don't spend several minutes on each wrap - move quickly, get them all covered and then come back and touch in any areas that need it. By coating all the wraps quickly, you get the same amount of penetration on each one and the epoxy has time to settle in before it starts getting thick.

Date: June 28, 2005 09:23AM

Four minutes! I don't have the nerves. :-)

Seriously, I've never mixed that long and I've never failed due to bad mixing.

Anyway, I'll try to coat all the wraps quickly. I think that the cooling will help too if that doesn't make the epoxy difficult to handle.

Cheers

Date: June 28, 2005 10:06AM

Cool epoxy is hard to handle. It's thick and won't want to penetrate well. True, it will stay liquid longer, but it'll be much thicker for that time. How cool are we talking? Once you get below about 60 - 65 degrees F, most epoxies are more like chewing gum.

Date: June 28, 2005 10:15AM

As long as the cool epoxy doesn't turn into a rock it's ok since I can always transfer some to a warmer place.

So I seem to need two places for that epoxy then - one room temperature to supply the varnishing spatula and one very cool, from which the room temperature one will be supplied.

Great, will do that. Cheers.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 11:39AM

Caution: Cool epoxy to a point where it's really thick and it will not mix as quickly, or as well.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: June 28, 2005 11:43AM

When your epoxy starts to thicken wave your torch over it to thin it out, you can do this several times to add longer working time for the epoxy. Jesse

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 12:21PM

Sakari,

If I am interpreting your original post correctly, you mean that as you apply your epoxy (no CP) to your thread wraps you aren't getting an even darkness to your threads on each wrap. I notice that can happen when applying a gob of epoxy in one place and then distributing across the wrap. The heavier application area darkens nicely, but the lighter application area may appear lighter. My solution to that is to apply a heavier than necessary coating to the entire wrap and then remove some for distribution to the next wrap. The heavy application should result in good saturation of the entire wrap and a uniform color on the entire wrap.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 06:17PM

If the epoxy begins to set up, I'd just stop there, mix a new batch, and begin again. It doesn't penetrate worth a darn when it's cool or when it's starting to set up and the bonding, sealing, and protection the epoxy gives the wrap is at least as important to me as the look of the wrap. Done this way, you'll achieve both results.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 06:26PM

What kind of finish are you using? They are not all equal in viscosity. At the same ambient temperature, Flex Coat and One Coat are both thicker than LS Supreme and Crystal Coat is almost like water. Those are the only two part finishes that I've ever used so I can't say anything about the others.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2005 07:01AM

MAke sure the threads are packed together, even with guide wraps thi can cause blotches.

Date: June 29, 2005 07:55AM

Thanks everybody for your tips.

I'm using LS Supreme. And will try to apply it fast, thick at first and then remove excess and make small batches of mixed epoxy to only finish a couple of wrappings at a time. I'll also make sure that the wrappings are tightly packed.

Jesse, I'm a bit confused since epoxy works so that the polymers of the two parts start forming longer molecules and produce heat. If epoxy is heated, that process is accelerated. That should increase viscosity and not lower it. Should one destroy formed polymer chains with that torch that would mean lower quality result in the end.

Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2005 07:55AM by Sakari Siipilehto.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2005 08:13AM

Anyone who has heated epoxy with a Torch or whatever knows it doesn't thicken, it thins & flows much better initially. All you have to do to prove this theory is mix a batch, let it get gooey, then thin it and watch it become watery.

Date: June 29, 2005 09:16AM

double post - gone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2005 06:37AM by Sakari Siipilehto.

Date: June 29, 2005 09:20AM

I don't know the linking rules on this forum so I'll just quote one epoxy manufacturer:
"CAUTION! Heating epoxy that has not gelled will lower its viscosity, allowing the epoxy to run or sag more easily on vertical surfaces. ..... Never heat mixed epoxy in a liquid state over 120°F (49°C).

Another instruction on another epoxy says:
"By using light heat from a blow-torch, the hardening reaction can be accelerated from 2 to 3 hours to only 20 minutes."

So I was wrong about the viscosity. It drops but at what cost? I'd bet either the working time gets shorter and/or the structure of the epoxy will suffer to some extent.

Cheers,

Date: June 29, 2005 09:36AM

Any time you apply heat to non-set epoxy, it momentarily thins, but quickly recovers and then speeds to a thicker viscosity resulting in less pot life. It's a trick you can use in a pinch when time is running out on you, but don't expect it to extend pot life - it does just the opposite.

LS Supreme probably as the longest pot or working life of any epoxy finish on the market. You've got plenty of time to work with it, but I'd still try to get those wraps coated quickly and then go back and touch in any areas that need it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster