I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color preserve over Gudebrod HT Metallic thread
Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: June 27, 2005 12:01PM

Hi. I am wrapping a rod using only Gudebrod HT Metallic tread. Do I need to color preserve the threads? Thanks...Kevin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color preserve over Gudebrod HT Metallic thread
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.48.95.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 27, 2005 12:07PM

Not needed. But if you want to just to make sure the air is out of the threads.

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: June 27, 2005 01:31PM

Thanks Bill. Hadn't thought about the air issue. Sounds like a good idea to do it anyway.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.127.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 27, 2005 01:36PM

Usually there is no trouble with just clear,

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: June 29, 2005 11:11AM

Kevin Norstuen - Please be advised that if you use Color Preserver (CP) on any brand of Metallic Thread, that the CP needs to be very dry before you encase it in the thread finish. (I would wait at least 24 hours, but no more than 48 hours, assuming the rod is kept in a well-ventilated / climate controlled room at around 65-80 degrees Fahrenheit.)

(Burnishing metallic thread or passing it between a compressive thread tensioning device can damage the foil and can cause a variety of problems.)

There have been other Posts & Replies on this subject at RBO which tell the tales of cloudiness or splotchiness developing in the Thread Finish (TF) [thread epoxy] because a CP was used on the Metallic Thread.

You can use the RBO Search feature for SEARCH = "CP METALLIC", Body Text and Subject Header. Also, look up the AUTHOR = Daniel Rotea, back in early march 2005. He posted pictures of a beautiful offshore rod which was lavished with metallic thread that clouded. (Ouch!)

The general consensus among those responding at RBO was that the CP had not dried enough prior to the application of the TF. The CP had leached out from under the metallic foil coating the thread, and had precipitated in the epoxy TF before it cured, causing a cloudy or splotchy appearance in the TF. At that stage, there is no real remedy for that situation other than re-wrapping the affected thread wraps, which makes for three times the original amount of work.

I can't comment personally on the problem of (micro-)air bubbles forming in the thread finish because air was not displaced by the application of the epoxy TF. I think if you apply the epoxy in a wicking fashion and give it an extra few seconds of time to soak into the thread and between the threads before you just glob it on and encase the threads in resin and entomb the air, then you will displace the air properly, and thereby entirely avoid the issue of the CP possibly leaching out & clouding the thread finish after it cures.

Generally speaking, using a third component in the 2-part epoxy to behave as a "thinner" (a solvent which can act to reduce the viscosity of the thread finish and enhance thread wetting / wicking and air displacement) is NOT recommended, because this can interfere with the chemical reaction that cures the epoxy, and can give a poorer quality casing of the thread, both physically and visually. If you go that route, you're more on your own, ... do test wraps on scrap blank first.

Here's a one of many quotes from the RBO Forum which could have been chosen to describe the experience of other RBs. Granted, opinions may vary, but not the facts.

Re: wrapping advice needed Bill Stevens 02-13-05 07:33PM
No CP needed at all on the metallic thread. It is my impression that the primary purpose of the CP is color maintenance. The metallics will maintain a high degree of brilliance without any CP. Air displacement is an additional benefit. Just do a good job wrapping & packing and NO BURNISH. Start the finish on the end of the guide away from the ring so that the initial soak displaces any air under the foot. If you do not use an underwrap, this will probably give you a stronger attachment point. Gon Fishn

Kevin, if you already used the CP and had no problems: Fine, don't panic because of what I said above. You lucked out. Just leave well enough alone. But do be aware of the potential problems of using CP on Metallic Threads, And apply your (epoxy) thread finish in such a way that air bubbles do not ruin your thread finish or thread art, and you should not need any CP to displace air when you use Metallic Thread, as under-, over-, or accent wrap.

I hope this helps you make a better informed decision in this regard.
-Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL- +++

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 29, 2005 11:50AM

I guess I didn't know any better because I always use CP over metallics (I use 90% metallic threads) and have NEVER had any problems. As Cliff noted. I usually wait 24 hours. The reason that I use it is to lock the threads in place so that they don't shift when the epoxy is appliedDon't know about anyone else but works for me.

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 29, 2005 08:14PM

Like Mike, I use metallic threads 90% plus on guide wraps. I've used them ever since I first was aware they were out there. Never have used CP on them once. I haven't had any more problems with bubbles in the finish than on standard threads.

I do start putting on the finish from the toe of the guide and work up towards the ring. I leave the ends of the tunnels open so the finish works in the tunnel area all by itself. I then come back later and 'tease' the epoxy over the ends of the threads and barely onto the blank, making sure the tunnel ends are now sealed.

I've re-wrapped many of my own guide wraps through the years after a guide had been broken or crushed. The tunnels are filled completely on all of these wraps. Trick is to mix up fresh finish if it starts getting a bit thick and setting up. It won't penetrate, protect, or seal worth a darn if it's put on after that point.

Virtually no bubbles at all with metallic threads applying finish in this manner; at least no more than standard winding threads (non-metallic).

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster