I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building information
Posted by: Dave DeJong (---.mr.net)
Date: June 25, 2005 06:33PM

Hi
I want to start building my own fly rods. I'm a capable woodworker and craftsman but need information on rod building. I know that theres a number of books out there but I'm wondering what is considered to be the best. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building information
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2005 06:41PM

Best book for the money spent, Rod-Building Guide, Tom Kirkman, Nick Amato Publications. Covers it all pretty well.

Posted by: John DeWitt (---.insight.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2005 08:18PM

Dave,

That book is the best book out there, agreed. However, I learned much more from a video than I did from reading the book. If you need to see how things are done versus reading about how they're done, get the video by L.A. Garcia. I believe it's titled Handcrafting a Graphite Fly Rod. Get both of them. You'll end up reading the book after you watch the video. It'll help fine tune some of the things you see done in the video and it covers them more in depth.

John

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: June 25, 2005 08:24PM

I think the 100 color photos in Tom's book make it pretty easy to follow. Just my opinion but I didn't like the Garcia book at all. Too much time spent just on assembling one reel seat. The video may be better. I didn't see it. Boyd Pheiffer has what I think is a pretty good rod building section in his updated Tackle Crafting book and you also get info on making nets, lures, etc.

Check your local library on the chance that they may have several of these rod building books in stock. If not they sometimes will get them for you from another library in their home network.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 25, 2005 10:13PM

You can get the book at most of the vendors on the left. I would strongly suggest a subscription to Rodmaker magazine also. Check out the FAQ's, Library, Glossary and Phot pages on this site also.

Don't hesitate to ssk any questions that you might have either. This is the best site on the internet and there is a ton of talent and knowledge at your disposal!!

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: June 26, 2005 01:13PM

Advanced Custom Rod Building by Dale Clemens and Tom's book and mag

Posted by: Dave DeJong (206.9.100.---)
Date: June 27, 2005 07:34PM

Thanks everyone
I'll be ordering Tom's book . Boyd Pheiffer's looks interesting too. I've been interested in building nets also. I have a lot of experience with wood laminations,steam bending,etc. Building net frames shouldn't be a problem for me but attatching and making the bag is something I know nothing about. Any good sources of information dealing with this subject?
Thanks
Dave

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas3.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: June 27, 2005 09:34PM

Click on Jann's NetCraft a sponsor on the left. I think they carry both books and a video about net building.

Always good to patronize the sponsors of this great board.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster