I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bass Popping or Flipping blanks used as Spinning blanks?
Posted by: Dan Miller (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: June 25, 2005 12:32PM

I have a few Bass Popping and Flipping, one piece, 43M graphite blanks standing in the corner. Can these blanks be used for spinning rods?

My goal is to use them for Pike and Walleye. Lures used will be the full range of spinners, spoons and plugs. The range of these blanks is 7' to 8' long and ratings are 6 - 12 to 10 - 20 lb test line. I would say that I am looking for general purpose rods. Trying to cut down on how many rods I will take out on the boat at one time. My time is usually spent fishing for Musky but there are times when they are not co-operating. Might as well take advantage of the Pike and Walleye, considering they are numerous where I fish.

What characteristics will I lack or lose, using these blanks as spinning rods?

I also wonder what would you suggest as the ideal length for spinning rods in this range? I will be fishing from a boat about 95% of the time and see little, if any, shore or river bank fishing. What length is considered to be too long a spinning rod, for practical and convenient boat use? The suggestion was given to me that 7' 6" is about the maximum lenght, for my purpose. That sounds about 6" too long to me but what do I know?

It is no problem, as you guys know, for me to cut down the length. If that is required, then so be it.

I welcome any suggestions for this application.

Thanks,

Dan Miller

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bass Popping or Flipping blanks used as Spinning blanks?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 25, 2005 01:11PM

Any blank can be used for any type rod. All blanks are made the same way, feature the same structure, and have no idea what they're being used for. The important thing, is whether the blank you have in mind has the attributes you desire in a particular rod type. If the blanks you have in the corner have the action and power you desire for what you want to do, then there is no reason not to use them. Just keep in mind that they'll have exactly the same characteristics when used as spinning rods as when they're used for casting rods, popping rods, flipping sticks. etc. They are what they are.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 25, 2005 05:38PM

For what it is worth, I've been using popping rods for fishing light worms for bass for 15 years now (spinning)... I think they make the ultimate rod. Tom made a great statement... the rod does not know it's a popping rod. What's in a name?!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 25, 2005 05:42PM

In our walleye tournament fishing here, many rods being used for trolling crankbaits are pushing the 10' mark and longer. 8 and 9' are common.

Live baiting locally (walleye again) is swerving in the direction of longer rods, also. Years ago a 6' 0" rod was a long rod, but now, many use 7' 6" and 8'. Most are still 6' 6" to 7' 0", though.

For live bait, a medium for walleye is a bit stiff for me; I tend towards ML and L rods.

Hope that helped a bit on top of what Tom had already said, Dan.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: russ blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 25, 2005 07:46PM

Depending on the power ratings of the popping blanks you have? They can make awesome Dropshot spinning rods!!!!!

I have used Flippin' blanks as spinning rods for jetty fishing for stripers and blues also............Nice to have the extra power at times.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster