I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spine placement on a fly Rod
Posted by: Spencer Bass (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2005 09:47AM

I have read the FAQ's about this but I am still a bit confused.

Is it the recommended practice to put the spine on the bottom in line with the fly reel?

Thanks,

Spencer
Largo, Florida

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spine placement on a fly Rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 25, 2005 09:52AM

There is no recommended place to orient the spine on a fly rod, or any other type rod for that matter. You can't go wrong here - put it where ever you want it and the rod will work just fine.

What I would do is tape up a set of guides, on the spine, opposite the spine and then along the bottom of the rod's natural concave curve and do some casting. In an hour or less you'll know which scenario you like best. And, the one you like best is the proper one for you.

Posted by: John DeWitt (216.29.24.---)
Date: June 25, 2005 11:25AM

Spencer,

I alwasy put the guides on the "belly" of the rod. I think of the spine as the backbone and put them on the underside. Just something that I've found works best for me. Pleas email me if you have any questions.

John
jdewitt@magicwandflyrods.com
www.magicwandflyrods.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 25, 2005 11:30AM

The spine is generally considered the outside of the curve the blank forms when pressured and allowed to roll into it's preferred location (the softest axis).

What you're doing is what most commercial rod makers do and is to put the guides on the straightest axis. It's certainly a good method.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: June 26, 2005 02:58PM

I tend to put my own personal guides on the spine itself. Meaning the backbone. (I know this next statement will go against the grain and spur endless debate and comments). On the spinning and fly rods that I have built for myself it seems to "soften" the rod's performance action. If it is in my mind, its in my mind! LOL, but at least I BELIEVE it strongly.

For customers, I always put it on the belly.

Hope that helps. And if it makes you feel better...I struggled with this question as well. Sometimes the instructions, video, online, books, etc, don't spell it out with enough specifics to be sure you know what they are truly describing.

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 26, 2005 04:56PM

I have always preferrred the method Spencer Phipps describedfor spining and casting rods. This arrangement works well on the quality factory rods I have used and see no reason to vary from that on those type rods I rods I build.

For multi piece fly rods I prefer to align all sections on the straightest axis. Then I test to see how the rod actually vibrates and dampens and align the guides on the softer side of that axis. The net result is a straight blank with the guides on the underside along the inside curve of the axis that the blank naturally flexes to rest. I hope I this explanation is easy to follow. For me it makes asense and, even though the benefits are probably minimal, at least they are working together in a beneficial way.

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster