I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod blank questions.....
Posted by: Vincent Koon (203.106.120.---)
Date: June 24, 2005 12:44PM

I'm planning to build to build a deep sea jigging rod about 5'3" to 5'6",using jigs up to 300g and shimano Biomaster 8000 with 40lb-50lb braid. the reel seat will be abt 20" from the butt. I have only 3 different graphite blanks to choose from. I don't know the brand but the specs are stated on the blanks.

lenght action line test(lb) max lure wt tip dia. butt dia.
1) 6'6" Fast 12-40 300g 2.7mm 13.7mm
2) 7'0" Fast 15-40 350g 2.8mm 14.0mm
3) 6'6" X Fast 20-60 500g 3.6mm 15.2mm

Definately i"ll have to shorten the blank about 12"-15". My question is wether I should cut off the tip section, the butt or both. IMO I would choose the 7'0" blank and cut the but end of the rod. Will the line wt be lower by doing this?
what kind of effect will it have on the blank by shortening the butt, and what about the tip? will the action, line wt and lure wt change?
Thanks in advance.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod blank questions.....
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 24, 2005 01:55PM

The action always becomes slower if you trim the blank either from the tip or the butt. The lure weight will also change - trim from tip and it will increase a bit, trim from butt and it won't be affected nearly much, but overall if could decline just a hair. Overall power (line class) will only change if you trim from the butt.

Re: rod blank questions.....
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: June 27, 2005 12:17PM

Vince - If I understand what you are trying to achieve, you would want to cut the butt end of the 3rd choice, your Extra Fast 6'6", 20-60# line, 500g lure, rod blank. This would convert its taper / action from Extra Fast down to Fast. If you cut the other blanks, they will drop from a Fast action to a more Moderate action bend. That's why I am saying that you should consider the opposite of your initial reaction, of choosing to cut ~15" off the butt end of the first rod (1).

Again, depending on if you are trying to swing the jig away from the other lines on the boat, like on a party boat, then a slower action and softer tip may help you cast better (if that's possible with whatever reel you plan on using.)

But if you are on a private vessel, then I doubt you'll need to cast away from the boat, and your "cast" will get reduced to a straight drop shot down into the abyss. Then a stiffer rod will give you more backbone, and a longer rod will give you more sweep to set a hook or turn a fish's head, or keep the line away from an outboard / outdrive mounted motor.

If you want a broom stick, cut from the tip & butt end of blank #3. If you want a more flexible (softer) rod, then cut from the butt end of the #1 blank (softer) rod, or #2 blank (softest).

In general, for a given blank, if you cut from the tip end, then the lower range of both the line rating and the lure rating will increase. If you cut from the butt end, then the upper range of both the line rating and the lure rating will decrease.

Remember that cutting the blank at the tip will increase the tube size of the rod's tip-top guide. And that cutting the blank from the butt end will possibly cause you to mount the reel in an section of the rod with a much smaller OD, where you may need to use arbors to mount the reel seat, or use a slightly different size gimbal, butt-cap or over-cap, or grip size (ID).

And finally, what type of fishing is this rod for? Why do you want it to be so short? Is this like a stand-up halibut rod or something? ... Thanks.

Best Wishes. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, Florida, U.S.A.-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster