I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threads spreading on Butt wraps
Posted by: Dave Teachout (---.130.dothill.com)
Date: June 23, 2005 04:16PM

This is my first posting. I am a novice at wrapping having only wrapped (4) rods to date. The biggest difficulty I have is keeping the threads tight (no spaces between threads) on the butt wraps. My methodology for butt wraps is:
1. Whatever color I am using, start at bottom of wrap and wrap up the blank.
2. Wrap past where the top of finished wrap will be and give a few wraps around the blank.
3. Wrap back down the blank past where the top of finished wrap will be and give a few wraps (this will usually be on the hypalon).
4. Start back up again etc.

Does this sound correct? Should you use an underwrap? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threads spreading on Butt wraps
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 23, 2005 04:50PM

I'm new at butt wraps too, worry about the same thing myself, but this is what I've learned (the pros will kick in too, I'm sure): 1. What you are doing (back and forth) is one of the standard ways. You can also wrap all in one direction. That's not the problem. 2. Threads will separate, but can be packed back with a packing tool. 3. Watch the thread tension, very critical, you will have to learn by doing. 4. If the pattern permits try to use multiple threads going in one direction (up or down) at crossover points, this is where it's hardest to keep them together, and multiple threads make it easier. Up and down means in the finished pattern, it doesn't mean how you actually do it - see point 1. 5. Don't worry about separation at the start and end of the wrap, this will be covered by the tie-off wraps. 6. Before you coat the whole thing with CP (if you use that) carefully dab CP just on the cross-overs and at other key points, let dry, then coat the whole thing. Hope that helps.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 04:55PM

One thing I do that you didn't mention is to wrap about 10 0r 12 inches of masking tape about an inch past the end of the wrap to form a shoulder or dam so the threads can't slip on the blank, on the grip end I tape the threads down on the grip after each pass for the same reason, stop slippage of the thread. I underwrap 99.9% of my rods, I believe it helps to stop slippage as well as it looks good. Jesse

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 23, 2005 11:24PM

Constant tension on the threads will help. If you are pulling too tight the threads can not move without jumping around. Also a chevron is easier to pack than a diamond. All the threads are moved in one direction. When you are pulling a thread or a band of threads try to extend your hand way out where you can feel the tension in the whole pass without letting the thread jump through your fingers while you are making a pass. Jesse is way right that an underwrap will help you keep threads in place. Final packing gets threads where you want them - if they are too tight this is not possible.

If you are within 500 miles of Jesse take off and go visit - he will blow your mind with doing a butt wrap.

Hi Cash - I just got home - really enjoyed my visit to your shop. Best day in a long long time!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2005 06:53AM

Bill,Only thing I would like to add to your suggestion is be careful running the threads through your fingers.Being an auto tech my hands a pretty rough at certain times of the year and it produces fuzzies in the wrap.I reciently had to cut off a closed wrap because of this.Now I use a bobbin to tension the thread or wear latex gloves to prevent this.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 24, 2005 07:37AM

This may help a bit - one of the pics is a before & then an after the wrap was packed. You can see that gaps are normal when laying the threads down, you muct follow suggestion #3 above, and get a packing tool and push the threads together. I use a small round piece of stainless which has been sharpened to a a dull point, with 3 flat sides. You'll also notice the wrap does not start on teh foregrip - this causes more of a headache than it's worth when laing down a lot of threads like in that wrap - much easier and neater to wrap "backwards" - but it does take some getting used to.

[www.visualwrap.com]

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: June 24, 2005 10:42AM

The thread may be moving because of the slickness of the blank. Just wrapping up and down won't hold them firmly enough, the blanks taper will allow them to slide. You might try a turn ot two of double sided tape at each end of the wrap. Depending on how complex the wrap will be, you can just continue to add another turn as your layers build up. The other advice is good, try bands of thread instead of just one at a time and watch the tension.

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.cttel.net)
Date: June 24, 2005 11:49AM

When using the double sided tape be sure to put a few layers of masking tape on the blank. Double sided tape is a real mother to cut off the blank without scratching the blank, learned this the hard way! . I also put a small length of a popcicle stick under the double sided tape. This gives you a gap between the blank and the top of the popcicle stick. Because of this gap I just slide my scissors up the gap and cut off the double sided tape as well as the birds nest of ti-down threads in one easy step. Then I am only left with the 3 or 4 layers of masking tape which are a piece of cake to peel off the blank. Ed

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: June 24, 2005 12:13PM

Ed - go one step further, wrap a paper towel around the blank, secur ewith a small piece of masking tape. THen do the posicle trick & doublestick - you'll have evne less to peel off.

Posted by: Dave Teachout (---.130.dothill.com)
Date: June 24, 2005 09:34PM

Wow! An overwhelming response. Thanks for all the advice everyone! I like the thought of multiple threads on a pass. Is this accomplished using multiple thread spools or do you cut individual threads and tape them off at the end of the wrap and go.

Dave

Date: June 24, 2005 09:42PM

DAve there are several ways to wrap multiple threads at a time. Do a Search on this board and you will find more than enough info. PErsoanlly, I had trouble until Jesse showed me how to use a box with several spools. Seeing that made an entire weekend at a seminar worth it, as silly as that sounds I went from spending 8 hors+ on wraps, which I can now do in less than 4, with better results. CAn't bea that.

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.37.110.80.adsl.snet.net)
Date: June 24, 2005 10:58PM

Billy, Do you ever have any lint problems with the paper towel? Thanks for the tip. Ed

Date: June 25, 2005 07:39AM

Not that I notice - I'm not ripping the paper towel off, once I get the thread & tape cut off, teh papper towel usually unravels.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster