I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Static Deflection Theory
Posted by: William Harvey (---.nantahalabank.com)
Date: June 22, 2005 11:54AM

I'm in the process of placing guides on a Seeker CLB708 (I think, it's 7 feet anyway) light trolling rod. It's a spiral wrap, and after I had moved the guides around to minimize the degree of the turn the line makes through each guide throughout the blank, the guides are a little more bunched up around the part of the blank that bends the most, i.e. not the tip and not the butt, but about 2/3 of the way up the rod. So the distance between those guides may be 4 inches (guessing), while the distance say from the tip to the first guide is 6 inches. Regardless, it's NOT the standard setup where the distance between the third and fourth guide is more than the distance between the tip and first guide. And after the bend, down towards the butt, the guides space out again.

I'm very comfortable with the setup, and the way the line follows the rod through the guides with a minimum of change in direciton seems like a thing of beauty to me, but my question is has anyone else come up with this sort of configuration? Is there some super flaw that I am unaware of with this setup? Am I approaching it wrong? I think this rod will fish as good or better than the rest as the guides are spaced specifically for the rod's particular characteristics. Comments please!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Static Deflection Theory
Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: June 22, 2005 12:24PM

I usually do my best to keep the ruler in the drawer when I'm static deflecting. I have a few rods which do not follow the standard guide placement, where each guide is spaced progressively further as you go down the rod. I try to let the bend in the rod & the resulting line path tell me where to place the guides on each blank.

i must confes though, it irks me if the guides are not progreesively further apart, and I have gone back and made adjustments so this is teh case, especially on rods I build for other people where I won't be there to explain "why" and they will get bombarded with Q's and doubts as to the rod's performance from people using Ugly Stick conventional rods with spinning rods turned upside down - moreso than they already recieve from having spiral wrapped rods, and teeny fly guides, and all that "paint" in front of the foregrip.

I honestly believe we really overdo it, most of what we do will not make enough of a noticeable difference to warrant our concerns. Do what you are comfortable with - that particular blank has a true XF action, where teh tip "flops", and teh rod almost shuts off 15" from the tip. On that particular blank, I would probably leave teh guides the way they are, knowing that it doesn't make a hill of beans difference since the rod isn't going to break regardless - the factory version probably uses 6 or 7 guides spaced preogressively.

Date: June 22, 2005 12:25PM

double, sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2005 01:54PM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 22, 2005 12:31PM

You're probably just fine and if you like it, just go with it. But you may also want to try Bill Colby's Simple Spiral as written about in the last issue of Rodmaker. After trying it it's the only spiral system I'll use from now on. Easy to set up and it just, well, it just works!

Date: June 22, 2005 01:56PM

Ken, he doesn't mention if he is spiral wrapping or not.

Posted by: William Harvey (65.14.20.---)
Date: June 22, 2005 02:14PM

Indeed it is a spiral. I'm pretty happy with that part of it, it seems like I've established a good line from my reel to the first 180 degree eye. I have not received my magazine yet though, I'll be interested to see what it says.

The rod is for someone else, my boss' friend who is buying himself a brand new boat, and my charge was truly make it a rod that you could not buy off the shelf. I need to balance the fact that the guides aren't progressively spaced with the fact that it'll have my name on it and people coming and going from the boat that will be checking it out.

Billy, is that Seeker truly an extra fast action? You may be right as there is very little flex by the time you're 1/3 of the rod's length away from the tip, but the tip itself seems to be pretty limber.

Date: June 22, 2005 03:26PM

On second thought - I may be thinking of the 709 - it's been a while with the Seekers. I know one of them bends like 15 inches, and completely shuts off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster