I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Variable within Identical blanks
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 21, 2005 06:52PM

Greetings,

A simple question. How much VARIAIBLITY is there form blank to blank in the identical model? Lets say I get ten identical XYZ blank form ABC company. I then do a complete static, casting and whatever else tests I deem necessary. Would the guide spacing I come up with be usable for all 10 blanks or do you guys test every single blank by itsefl, starting from scratch? (That would be tedious indeed.)

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Variable within Identical blanks
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 21, 2005 07:17PM

I would start from scratch. There are certain allowable tolerances each company has that each blank can differe from the specs posted in their catalouges. If tip-top sizes are allowed to be off by 1/2 a size, that means a rod that should have a size 9 tip, can have anywhere from an 8.5 to a 9.5 tip - I would think this is a fairly larger enough difference to make me static deflect each rod.

I do not knowwhat the allowable diference if, but I do know I called one to complain about a tip size being off by 1 full size (a 10 instead of a 9), and was told that was "normal". Which means that same blank could have had a size 8 tip.

This is my guestimation based on my limited experiances with the blanks I build.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 21, 2005 08:01PM

Blank manufacturing is still a very labor intensive process. Any time a good amount of hand labor is involved, the door is open for variance between blanks of the same model. The better companies with strick quality control, offer blanks that vary very little from one to another. Not to say that an oddball can't creep in once in awhile, but generally the tolerances are pretty decent. One of the biggest complaints on the offshore oriental made blanks for so many years was that they varied so much from blank to blank. Thankfully they've tightened up their quality control a great deal in the past decade and you don't see those terrible variances from blank to blank nearly as often as you once did.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 22, 2005 01:58AM

Tom,

So, would I be correct that with high quality USA made blanks, generally they are quite consistent and I'd do OK duplicating setups across the same blanks with quick check?

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 22, 2005 01:59AM

I have been told by a excellent rod and blank company that every blank of the same number they produce has a slight variable that is built in to the blank when it is built. They can not control this variable. So each blank then has its own characteristic built in to it. So I test all my guides spacings.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: June 22, 2005 09:27AM

Was at a seminar where Don morton had 10 blanks made that were suppose to be all the same. Just to show what differences there is in the blanks, he had the blank held only by th tip section. The butt ends all varied in their positions. I don't think there was any 2 that were the same.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: June 22, 2005 04:11PM

Thanks to all who responded. Not surprisingly, no blanks are exactly identical. However, my question is that for all practical purposes, are the differences LARGE enough to produce a real difference in guide placement? (i.e. Guides are 1-2 inches off from blank to blank, or evern that some blanks may take one less guide than another.)

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.3.66.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 24, 2005 08:04AM

Mo
That is why all blanks should be Static Tested to find out where the guides should be placed. The flex of the blank tells you this and since no two blanks flex the same, do it on all

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 24, 2005 12:37PM

Bill This is what I have been telling this young man. If he does not do the flex test hecould build a rod that may fail
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.165.172.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 24, 2005 12:57PM

I don't think I would go that far as to say it would fail. If the factory specs are used the rod will perform, just could be better if tested
Mo
If you have several of the same blanks and are making the same rods, do a test on them with the same guide set up and see how different they may be

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster