I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Off topic - what makes a rod a "drift rod" or a "float rod"?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 20, 2005 09:52AM

I gather that the two are not the same. What characteristics make a blank good for one or the other? How do these blanks work for light inshore/surf action with light lures and bait?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off topic - what makes a rod a "drift rod" or a "float rod"?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 20, 2005 10:24AM

You might find some help in the Glossary page here.

For inshore plugging I tend to prefer something along the lines of a longer fast action bass rod.

Posted by: Steven Purcell (---.jccbi.gov)
Date: June 20, 2005 10:31AM

The major difference is length. Most bobber'n jig rods are 9 1/2' spinning like the Rainshadow 1143. I have one each 1143 spinning and casting, the caster has a Curado on it.

Most drift rods are 8 1/2' casting rods. The extra length for the bobber rod is needed to keep the line off the water so that you get the best drift. Either can be used for either type fishing but they shine at their own specialties.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 11:27AM

What we call a "float rod" here in steelhead alley of the Great Lakes Region of Ohio, is usually quite a bit longer than what Steven suggested. Although our territory might be quite different. When trotting along a float (bobber) on a mid to small sized river, we tend to use rods in the 10-15' range. Based on preference, rods will vary from whippy like a wet noodle (thus the name noodle rod) to those with a little more back bone, but nothing like a surf rod in my experience.

I have three "go to rods" that I float fish with using a centerpin reel. One: factory bought 3PC Raven IM7 13'6" that has the most back bone of the bunch, Two: A Cascade Composite IST1382F 11'6" 2PC 4-8# light action wetter than a wet noodle, noodle rod (summer smallies and catfish). Three: A H&H (Cascade/Rainshadow private label) 6Wt 10'6" made into a 11' fly rod built over to a Float rod. This 6Wt is for smaller creeks and has more back bone than the IST.

The point is, the longer the rod, the less line on the water, the less drag on the float and the offering, the more natural the drift, the more fish you catch! (well that is the hopes anyway)

Domenic Federico

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 20, 2005 11:43AM

So do I understand correctly that in float and drift fishing, you are not really doing a lot of casting so much as you are paying out line and maintaining the proper drift?

Posted by: Steven Purcell (---.jccbi.gov)
Date: June 20, 2005 12:36PM

We are fishing the Pacific Northwest. We find rods longer than 9'6" to be cumbersome on the trails used to access much of the steelhead water. Even 9'6" is a major pain at times. No fun in the jungles.

There is a lot of casting involved in both drift and bobber'n jig fishing. Cast approx 45 degrees upstream and drift as far as you can effectively fish, depending on conditions. The bobber'n jig rod needs to be able to cast a very light weight, hence the spinning reels or very light spool casting reels like the Curado BSF. A sensitive rod is required for drift fishing but not nearly as importatn in float fishing because the strike is indicated by the bobber.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2005 12:33AM

I think a HS 1021 or 1023 might be a nice blank for your application, I'd pick which one by the line and weight/bait your throwing. They are a faster actioned blank much like Tom described. Light, pleasant rods for the power they possess. Kind of like a faster tipped livebait blank in many ways.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster