I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying Epoxy
Posted by: Eddie Pullen (---.mo-stlouis0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: June 19, 2005 10:27PM

I have a very basic question. I am a new rodbuilder so whenever I apply epoxy to my guide thread wrappings, I have a hard time getting the edge to look straight & even, The epoxy will end up running up & down as the blank turns.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to make the epoxy look neat & even or straight ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying Epoxy
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 19, 2005 10:47PM

Hi, Eddie. I apply mine as the rod is turning, too. I get everything squared away with the main body of the guide wrap first (so there's not too much on; shouldn't be running anywhere at that time).

Then, with one hand holding the wrist of the other hand and both elbows firm on top of my work bench, I hold the tool that I'm going to "edge" with. I gently tease a bit of the epoxy from the guide wrap out and over the edge, just onto the blank as it turns. I bring more over as needed, never bringing too much. Too much will cause a wider line of epoxy out there and it won't look good when done. This does happen on occasion, though. Then I fold a paper towel in half and soak a part of the towel away from this folded edge with alcohol and then just lightly touch the folded edge to that soaked area to get the folded edge barely wet. Then as the rod is turning, I bring that folded edge, lightly wetted with the alcohol, slowly up to the edge of the finished epoxy and use a shoe-shiner's slow movement in one direction only. This exposes a fresh part of the towel to the epoxy edge as it's turning and this leaves a nice edge, also.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: June 19, 2005 10:59PM

Putter,

That's an outstanding description. I use the same technique, but am not very swift at it usually, i.e., never satified with the outcome. Will keep practicing.

Stan

Posted by: Johnny Mc Greger (---.227.26.225.Dial1.Dallas1.Level3.net)
Date: June 20, 2005 12:13AM

I also am a beginner at rod building.A freind of mine is getting out of the business.He is teaching me some of his tricks he has discoverd over the last 14 years.I also had this problem.His Trick to this was applying epoxy with a popsickle stick. I have not tried it yet.But I have seen a lot of rods he has done and they look great.

Johnny

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 02:03AM

I just started using the McDonald's coffee stirrers and they work pretty well as well. Today I went back to my old standby of the yellow Flexcoat brush. As long as you don't "brush" with it, seems to work pretty well for me. Then the other end doubles as a stirrer for the next batch, or for stirring my flocking paint.

Phil

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.139.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: June 20, 2005 02:37AM

i'm using a cut strip from those fake plastic credit cards i receive endlessly in the mail. i think there are two keys for getting it straight, at least for me right now. after applying finish to the main part of a wrap, i apply to the edge. 1) my turner turns at 6rpm. i think it would help if it went faster. 2) to keep my hand steady, i use a block of wood, or anything handy, to rest the hand against as i apply the edge finish. i load it up with finish and hold it vertocically, active edge pointed own and bring to the blank, allowing the finish to be pulled off. seems to work fine for me.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: June 20, 2005 07:19AM

I just started using the 200 rpm motor assembly from Flex Coat to apply my epoxy, and what a difference the rpm's make. I use to use a 4 rpm motor and the edges looked lousy. With the rod spinning faster, it makes it so much easier to get avery nice straight edge. Also it seems I am getting a much nicer looking finish on my guides when first applying it using the faster motor. I can get a very nice thin finish and it takes under 10 minutes to finish up the guides for each coat, instead of like 20-30 minutes when using the 4 rpm motor. After all is finished on the high speed motor, I switch the rod to my 4 rpm motor to let it finish drying.

Posted by: Mike White (---.ext.ti.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 02:24PM

wow , 200 RPM is flying . i don't think i could do it with the rod spinning that fast. That's 3 revs per second!! ??

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: June 20, 2005 02:38PM

It's actually easier to apply when the blank is turning faster. I use a Power Wrapper with a foot control and find that I have less control as my foot eases up on the pedal. I'm not sure how many RPM's it turns at tops, but I can fling epoxy on the wall!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster