I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marbelizing help!
Posted by: Jerry Chambers (---.xxpansion.net)
Date: June 19, 2005 05:21PM

I am marbelizing white on top of a blue base coat. The white seams to float on top of the base coat and get very thin on the edges. The blue can be seen under the white, it turns to a grey color with the white on top. Is there a way to keep the white from spreading out on to of the blue? Do I need to wait longer before adding the white? Thanks for the help!

Jerry Chambers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marbelizing help!
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 19, 2005 06:17PM

What finish are you using? Which blue & white pigments are you using?

Can't help without knowing those two things...also is the white really cloudy and almost transparent?

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2005 06:31PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Date: June 19, 2005 06:45PM

I am using high build Flex Coat. The pigments are paint pigments from Sherwin Williams paint store. Not paint just the pigment. The white is really cloudy and almost transparent. That is a better way of describing what it looks like. I also have the same problem with other colors. Thanks for the help!

Jerry Chambers

Date: June 19, 2005 08:50PM

I've used two different pigments from two different stores where they mix it with the paint and haven't run into this problem... hmmm...

It's got to be the pigments' properties, though. Flex Coat High Build hasn't done this clouding effect with me with any pigment except the Daler~Rowney white, and it's just a very inexpensive pigment and I use it to get this effect in marbling.

I guess I'd suggest trying waiting 10 or 15 minutes after mixing the finish and then try it once more. If it still does it, try different pigments.

I just finished a marble using some artist's French Ultramarine blue oil pigment called Winton from Winsor & Newton (Stan Grace sent it to me) and it worked very well with Testor's white marbled into it.

The Testor's blends somewhat when marbled as the second color, but can be brought back in later on and a good contrast can be obtained.

The two hardware store whites that I have both contrast strongly (it's really hard to get them to blend/marble at all). They just seem to stand right out there where ever they're left after swirling them.

Shoot me an email with that second try...I'm curious as to how you'll make out on this, Jerry.

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2005 09:03PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Date: June 19, 2005 09:19PM

I tried the same thing with John Deere green as a base coat, oil base paint. I used yellow SW pigment to marbel in. The same thing happened. Could I be adding too much pigment to the Flex Coat? I have been adding quite a bit, 4 or 5 drips, to get the color I want. Thanks for the help putter! And also the Quick response!

P.S. John Deere green with yellow marble on a green blank with green burl trim handle. I cant decide if its the worst looking rod I have built or the best. Its growing on me.

Jerry Chambers

Date: June 19, 2005 10:12PM

Well, John Deere is all about growing things; why not "grow on you"?

Add a drop of pigment at a time, stirring each one into the puddle of pigment that you've allotted for that color. When the color is uniform with no swirl marks as you stir it, that's enough. Once you've done it like this several times, you'll have a feel for how much pigment you can add to the amount of finish you've allotted. Until you've done this a few times, though... It's the best way to learn how to put in the right amount. Seems like the lighter the color, the more pigment is needed to get this just right.

I kinda doubt that this is the problem, but it could be? Still scratching my head (and that hair is thin enough already!).

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: June 20, 2005 10:17AM

Since I've done very little marbling I have to check the epoxy carefully before I start to be sure it is opaque. The lighter colors do allow darker colors to bleed through unless you have enough pigment added. As Putter said, add a drop at the time. When I can add pigment without the swirls forming I put a drop of the colored epoxy on a piece foil. If the foil shows through, I add another drop or pigment. I do this until the epoxy is opaque and doesn't show through.

Jay

Date: June 22, 2005 12:19AM

Email from Jerry tonight:

Putter,

You were right about the pigment. I Marbelized a 3-piece travel rod today
and used testers. The blue base with white marbel came out perfectly. I also
added some gold highlights. I tried the Sherwin Williams pigments on ink pens
like the ones you had at Charolette, they tend to run like I described unless
I wait untill the Flex Coat is very sticky. I am the one that you gave the
purple pigment to at Charolette. I have made my 7-year old daughter ink pens,
barbie parts, fishing rod, ect... I have been having a lot of fun with
marbelizing since I saw you demonstrate it at the big show. Thanks for all of
the help!! I guess I will stick to the testers paints till I find something
better.

Thought that I'd throw this in for the archives. This post is already on the second page.

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster