I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to install a gimbal butt?
Posted by: Vincent Koon (203.106.181.---)
Date: June 19, 2005 07:37AM

Have a friend asked me to cut about 3 inches off the butt and replace the rubber butt cap with a aluminium gimbal butt. How should this be done? Does the butt cap goes into the end of the rod blank? What size should I use( how much bigger than the butt diameter of the blank, or I should get one with a perfect fit)? Do I need to wrap the butt of the blank to strenghten it? Thanks....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to install a gimbal butt?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2005 09:02AM

You would install it just as you would a butt cap. The gimbal goes over the rod blank butt. Get one as close to size as you can. A perfect fit would be great, but that's not likely. Go up just a notch and shim to fit with fiberglass drywall tape and RodBond or similar.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 19, 2005 05:03PM

Use the drywaill tape as Tom suggests, or use two bands of 1/2" wide masking tape. Make sure you leave a gap between the tape to filled with the paste epoxy, rod bond or kardol. Though some say paste epoxy is not to be used as a filler but I have found it (paste epoxy, kardol) to cure extremely hard with a very strong and durable bond when used to fill in the spaces and gaps under a reel seat or a gimbal. So it works just fine for rod building.

I think the thought that it is not to be used as a filler comes from one intended use in the MARINE industry, ie boats, where it is not recommened to be used a filler for critical components. Loads on the reel seat come nowhere near making the bond break.

Make sure the tape is recessed 1/8" or so when the gimbal is fully seated onto the blank, and allow this space to fill with epoxy as you pressed the gimbal on - this to completely seal the tape from the environment.

One other thing, if the rod already has a tip top on it you will have to drill a tiny hole dead center on the bottomof the gimball, right in the center of the cross formed by the notches of the gimbal. This hole will allow air to vent as you press on the gimbal, otherwise the slight pressure buildup from air captured when the gimbal is pressed on will cause the gimball to want to pop off on you. So let it vent through a tiny hole.

Finally, use a piece of blank or other straight item (pencil?) to place in the notches of the gimbal to help you eyeball the alignment with the reel seat/guides ., to make sure notches are aligned with seat/guides.

Lou

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2005 08:47PM

I learned if you are using something like Rod Bond, be sure to check it every so often. I didn't and a couple of mine shifted on me, leaving a little tiny space in between the slick butt and the gimbal. Not very noticable, but very aggrevating when you have over $200 in parts invested.

I also tape my gimbal on with blue tape to help with the shifting.

Phil

Posted by: Vincent Koon (219.92.243.---)
Date: June 19, 2005 09:11PM

Thanks for the details......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster