I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

REC recoil guides
Posted by: Bryan Ion (---.cable.ubr03.gate.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: June 18, 2005 01:24PM

Just want to ask has anyone had any feedback from using the lightweight single leg rec guides,as i have a problem in a customers rod in that they same to be sticking/vibrating/grating type noise coming from the rings during the retrieve of a fly.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Bryan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: REC recoil guides
Posted by: Magnus Haugen (---.bb.online.no)
Date: June 18, 2005 06:00PM

I've just had the same problem with my recoil guides. in the beginning it made a lot of noise and vibrations when used with dry lines (dry as in should be treated with line dressing soon). After about a month I thought my XXD lines must have a bad coating. However often I dressed them they'd only last for about half an hour before the line started sticking to the rod. When I examined the guides they were compleatly worn out. All the recoil guides had noticeable trenches from the line. The top guide was worn 1/3 way throug. Now I have to change all the guides on a rod I built this winter and have used for about two months. Rec didn't have a good explaniation, but are sending me a new set of guides...

Posted by: Magnus Haugen (---.bb.online.no)
Date: June 18, 2005 06:02PM

I've just had the same problem with my recoil guides. in the beginning it made a lot of noise and vibrations when used with dry lines (dry as in should be treated with line dressing soon). After about a month I thought my XXD lines must have a bad coating. However often I dressed them they'd only last for about half an hour before the line started sticking to the rod. When I examined the guides they were compleatly worn out. All the recoil guides had noticeable trenches from the line. The top guide was worn 1/3 way throug. Now I have to change all the guides on a rod I built this winter and have used for about two months. Rec didn't have a good explaniation, but are sending me a new set of guides...

Might just be me that have this problem (Rec claimed to never have heard of it before), but have a close look at your guides just in case.
Magnus

Posted by: Jim Morris (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: June 18, 2005 06:42PM

Bryan, I used my first set of single foot recoils several years ago when they were still fairly new on the market. The only problem I experienced, was that they didn't appear to cast well with clear intermediate lines. When the line was wet, casting was just ok, but when dry, the line really gripped the guides and caused some noise and vibration and I had to do many more false casts than usual. Since that particular rod was intended to be used with clear intermediate lines quite often, I went back to chrome guides and used the recoils on a stream rod. The stream rod works brilliantly with them and I've recently used them again on a couple of rods where light weight was the primary consideration and using a clear intermediate was not. I just lawn cast one of those new rods with a standard Rio floater and they cleared out the whole line with no problems at all (it's off season where I am, so I don't get to test them for real for a while!)
I'd be asking about the lines used, because in my limited experience there might be an incompatability problem between recoils and some line coatings, though I've no scientific background and have no idea why. Jim

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2005 01:51AM

Magnus,

Your experience is certainly interesting - and cause for a bit of alarm in terms of wear. Can't imagine this kind of wear on good ceramics. Still, have heard great experience by others on the recoils.

Wonder if anyone else has the same experience in terms of wear.

Thanks for the post.
Mo

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2005 10:47AM

Bryan and Magnus
RECoils are the only snakes that I offer for my custom rod customers and frankly the only snakes I've put on my own rods for a long time. After wearing the coating off PVD TiN snakes in one rigorous season i never went back to plated guides. I'm talking both sng and dbl ft RECoils. I'll still use ceramics but for snakes it's been straight RECoils for some time.
The only feedback I get on them is squeaking and this is usually with a dry fly line. This really bothers some people but I tell them that they'll be happy in five years when their guides are still slick and groove free. The truth is that they are not the most efficient guides out there. That squeaking means friction. I'm simply sold on the 2)bendiness and the 1)solid alloy.
Believe me I'll be checking very closely for gouging and grooves next time I look at one of my well-used rods but I've never had that problem.
Great to get perspectives.
Best,
Josh Markvan
check out markvanheirloom.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster