I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

accent bands
Posted by: david williams (---.formysite.com)
Date: June 17, 2005 11:50PM

hello all
i am atempting to ad acent bands in my main wraps but it just doesnt look right
i am taping the ends down untill i get ready to add them
make two turns with the color i have chosen to use then taking the main thread color and wraping over
the acent band color but the problem i am having is the transition from one color to the next just
doesnt lay wright. its like it is offset (real bad).
what do yall do to make this real smooth and pretty lokking?
practice will help i know but geeze eighter i am n ot doing smothing right or i am to impatient.
any help and step by step instructions i would be very greatful.
i read a post on here once about adding these bands and thought i was following them
real close but it just dont look wright to me.
THANKS FOR YALLS HELP
THIS IS ONE TERRIFIC BOARD THE PEOPLE ARE OUTSTANDING

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: accent bands
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 18, 2005 12:45AM

As your wrapping thread ends and your trim band starts, the first thread of the trim band is going to be "offset" by one thread thickness. Also, at the end of the trim band, in this same area of your wrap, the trim band will be offset by one thread thickness.

At that point, I pack/burnish the trim band over and line up the trim band. I do this after packing/burnishing the complete trim band as I'm overwrapping the first turn of the wrapping thread.

Hope that helped...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Steve Purcell (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2005 11:52AM

Okay, you are wrapping with the main thread and the trim band thread is laying under the main thread. When you want to add the trim color, untape it, and hold it right alongside the main thread on the outside of the wrap just past one full turn. Now tuck the trim thread under the main thread and make two full turns.

Your trim band is now in place with the tag end sticking out from under two turns of the main thread. Now take your thread packing tool and hold it at the spot where the two ends of the trim band pass and by gently pull the trim band back until the trim band ends meet perfectly (you must have constant pressure on the main thread). Now pack the two main thread turns against the outside trim band end until it aligns perfectly with its beginning. You now have a perfect one turn accent wrap.

The smaller the thread the easier it is to hide the transition. I assume you are using A size thread.

Good luck.

Posted by: david williams (---.formysite.com)
Date: June 18, 2005 06:55PM

thanks to the both of ya for the help i am going back up to the shop to try what yall said how you do it see which way works best for me
thanks again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster