I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

broken blank question?
Posted by: Eric Spicher (---.dialupat.pennswoods.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 12:03AM

A fly rod i built for a customer a year ago recently broke and i will obviously replace it for him, but I had a question for those who have encountered this before. The rod broke about 4 guides down from the tip on the upper section fo the blank it was of no fault of the customers, but broke in an area where it could have only been cause by a defect in the blank. Could i just order the same blank and only use the top section? Or will I have to make a whole new rod? It would obviously be easier on me if i would just put guides on a new top and use the same bottom portion. any advice would be appriciated............thanks in advance.......eric

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: broken blank question?
Posted by: Jim Randall (---.grantnoc.org)
Date: June 17, 2005 12:49AM

Depending on the manufacturer, normal practice has been to return the broken rod and they will fit a new tip if available. Best bet is to call the maker and explain your situation, then follow their instructions. If the particular model is no longer available they will usually substitute a current blank of equal or higher quality. In the last few years most companies have changed their warranty policies and may charge a nominal fee, however I have always received excellent service from the various manufacturers. Good Luck !!

Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 02:54AM

Rarely do manufacturer defects show up in a rod that has been in use for a year. It is of course possible but most defects are going to show up soon after completion of a rod.
Not to say that your customer intentionally broke the rod but there was possibly more to the equation than just a manufacturer defect IMO.

Dan Craft
Dan Craft Enterprises

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 17, 2005 08:32AM

Most likely your customer hit the rod on something, or overstressed the tip, at some point. It may have broken then, or even weeks later after he had forgotten about the initial impact. As Dan said, rods don't suddenly become defective a year after their first use.

The manufacturer may be able to simply replace the tip section for you. Return the entire rod and let them try to fit a new tip for you.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 09:00AM

Check out this artical C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\Reducing Rod Breakage - 042505.htm
Don't know if this worked but it is the Reducing rod breakage from the magizine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2005 09:07AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 17, 2005 09:48AM

sounds like what we call in hockey town i high stick a rod deffect would have broken long before good luck though like every one else said try the manufatuar first...........

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 17, 2005 03:17PM

Bill,
That is an invalid internet address!! The address that you posted is pointing to your hard drive (which we can't access)

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.33.68.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 03:28PM

I know sorry.
It is the artical on Rducing rod breakage that is in the Think the April issue of Rodbuilder

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 06:16PM

I think Tom also sent a copy of the article to flyanglersonline.com didn't he? Could access it in their archives.

Posted by: Eric Spicher (---.dialupat.pennswoods.net)
Date: June 18, 2005 09:33AM

Thanks again for all the advise. after looking at the blank I am curious what would cause a clean break. I assumed if ti was over stresses of broke in some other manner (car trunk or something) that they would splinter? thanks again to all

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster