I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

a Cabelas order and Fuji reel seats
Posted by: Howard Roark (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2005 11:05PM

So I made my first cabelas purchase after starting on some ~$100 rod blanks. I ordered a couple of the IM7s-662-2 for the dirt cheap cost of 21 dollars each and have to say that I'm extremely pleasantly surprised. These rods are definitely going to turn out fun, they're very light and the action screams "fish me for a good time." I'm not a big fan of the mass produced "big guy" companies, but my average cost per rod was hovering at $180 per and I thought it would be nice to make that alittle more manageable and do some poles for the family. Christmas comes up quick. These rods are also surprisingly straight, just as straight or better than a couple of my rainshadow blanks. It'll be nice to have a sub$100 rod of reasonably good quality to give out.

I did order a Fuji Light spinning real seat, and I'm completely confused with the profile of this thing. I seriously misjudged what I was looking at when I ordered this thing I think. Are these meant to be "hooded" with cork on the backside? It seems very unfinished and radical on the backside, and sort of uncomfortable to hold if that's how it should be. Anyone else had any experience with these?

Thanks,
H

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: a Cabelas order and Fuji reel seats
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2005 11:21PM

Howard,
Is this a fly rod or a spinning rod? Your discription could be a 2 piece 2 wt fly or 2 power spinning blank.

Posted by: Howard Roark (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2005 11:38PM

Sorry, it's for a spinning rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2005 01:01AM

Howard,
I assume your talking about a 16 mm DPSM reelseat, I don't use them much anymore due to their small diameter,which doesn't even fit my small hands(Use them only for fly rod reelseats). You can put them in any direction that seems the most comfortable for you, and you don't need to put anything in the cork grips. Sometime just decreasing the size or diameter of the cork transition to the reelseat will help your problem.I find decreasing the length of the reelseat to just enough to allow the reel to be installed makes a big difference in my comfort (less graphite, more comfy cork) . If you want to hide the threads because you don't like their look or feel you can order a Fuji quik-lock foregrip and cork from a sponsor to the left and see if that helps.
I think your noticing that Cabelas and other big outfit can at times have some good deals, but overall you will get a better deal from the sponsors to the left due to their knowledge base, component selection and savings in shipping costs from getting it all and right the first time.
Good luck on the rods. Hope I helped some.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.jcu.edu.au)
Date: June 16, 2005 06:12AM

No, he's talking about the Fuji IPS seat. Fuji do a preshaped cork grip section for the seat, as well as a full grip. It is also available in EVA. Shoot an e-mail to Bob at Custom Tackle Supply.
Personally, I find that the hump on the IPS is too far back with regard to where the reel stem sits, and the screw section is VERY small. A good idea, but needs to be refined.
The seat is compatible with the QuickLok foregrip.

Posted by: Howard Roark (---.publicisgroupe.com)
Date: June 16, 2005 10:11AM

Thanks Ted, that's exactly the one. Now that I realize what it is, I'll be sending it back. I like to turn my own handles, don't want to be locked in to someone elses handle shapes.
Much appreciated,

H

Posted by: Joe Boomgaard (---.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 01:30PM

Just an FYI:

Consider the Cabelas TiCh/woven graphite cushioned reel seats the next time you're in the market. I find them tough to beat. They look great, come in several colors, and hold up well to a lot of abuse. All of mine go on spinning rods used for steelhead, but I think they would look nice on a fly rod with a fighting butt as well.

I've not seen anyone else with the TiCh barrel and nut on a woven graphite reel seat that fits well with spinning gear. Every other seat has a graphite tube, and I just don't think that it looks as good as the TiCh. But that's just my opinion...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster