I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lightest Blank (7';8-17)
Posted by: Mike Englert (---.tamucc.edu)
Date: June 15, 2005 09:40AM

I am looking for the lightest good quality blank I can get. It is for a spinning setup to sightcast to tailing redfish. 7' and something like a 8-17 lb. class. What would you suggest?
Thanks
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lightest Blank (7';8-17)
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 15, 2005 10:13AM

I have a G-USA and a AmTack Matrix in the size you described. Both are nice, but overall I think the Matrix will be a tad lighter because of the Vetrix handle. Pretty sweet setup and won:t break the bank. My apostrophe won:t work for some reason.... strange.

Also, used the single foot Titan guides on it. They weigh next to nothing, priced reasonable, and shouldn:t rust in the salt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2005 10:14AM by Phil Richmond.

Posted by: Tommy Lindsay (---.249.222.204.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: June 15, 2005 11:59AM

Loomis or Lamiglas P844.

To save even more weight, instead of using cork, use cork tape for the handle.

It really lightens the bottom of the rod up, and (IMO) makes a major increase in sensitivity, as the handle it thinner the rod can sorta rock in your palm.

Good Luck !!

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.ch2m.com)
Date: June 15, 2005 12:31PM

Diddo on the loomis suggestion. Try an IMX P844. Or, try to find a GLX blank in the same configuration....there may be one left out there somewhere.

Bret

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: June 15, 2005 02:39PM

I think you want a fast taper right? And assuming some durability criteria, it may be that Dan Craft's very fast action FT fly blanks with the 'butt' section dropped or shortened. That should be lighter than any bait casting blank you can pick up to meet your specs. You can check with Dan.

Mo

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2005 09:03PM

The Shikari SHX PP 704 is a little lighter than the Loomis IMX P844. Very similar actions, though I think Shikari is a little faster tipped. Put on some Am Tack Titan guides and you're set. The GLX blanks are great, but haven't been available for years and are much easier to damage. My GLX PR 844C has been broken twice on bull redfish. One under the boat, one under the anchor line. My PP704 has been much luckier in that regard. Similar weight, but a faster tip? The SHX PP 703.5.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster