I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Size Recomendations
Posted by: Kyle Caldwell (---.lkwnny.adelphia.net)
Date: June 14, 2005 12:55PM

For the spinning rod guys. What would y'all suggest for an 11'6" Spinning rod. Im pretty set on using the pac bay BMHGs (I believe thats their high frame model) Just wonderin what some of you would suggest for sizes.

Thanks
Kyle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Size Recomendations
Posted by: Mike OLiver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 01:37PM

Kyle

You could always follow the concept system descibed above in the library or follow the old cone of flight theory or the other old rule was small butt guide but high stand off. For myself I tend these days to use much smaller guides on my spinning rods than previuosly. I don't get involved in any of the above theories and rule of thumbs anymore. I found out quite by accident about 4 years ago that my 11 foot 1-3oz spinning rod rung for conventional actually cast very well with a spinning reel. In fact it cast as well as rods rung using the normal seen size 50 butt guides, but I did not have to cope with handling the significant weight of a guide set that would have included a 50,40.30.20 down etc. Fuji have printed some interesting data related in particular to their Low Rider guides which start at a maximum size 20 for the butt guide, that strongly suggests that Big butt guides are not efficient and do little to enhance or control line flow from the reel and up and through the remaining guides. For evidence they usd very fast stills photography.
For what its worth these are the size I used on my rod. 25,20,16,12,10,8,8,Tip size 10. The first size 8 is about 4.5inch from the tip top and the butt guide is about 39 inch up from the reel seat. Now I can tell you if you adopt this same ringing pattern you face potential ridicule on the beach from the dyed in the wool crowd. Me I am pretty thick skinned. I have questioned and asked for proof before that the concept guide system actually results in any measurable increase in perfomance and no one has been able to objectivaly answer the question. By shear fluke I found that it was just not necessary to go big with guides even on large powerful spinning rods with correspondingly big reels with large diameter spools. For the record I use 50lb Power pro straight through on my 11 footer.

Now many are probably going to disagree with me on this board so I commend you to hear all the view points and then make up your own mind. The great thing is, that whatever you decide to do it is not set in stone you can easily take of rings and try out different arrangements until you get the one that works best for you.

Tight Line

Mike OLiver

Re: Guide Size Recomendations
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 03:40PM

As always, it depends. On what you are going to use the rod for and with (reel, line, lures). I built a 10 1/2 foot surf spinning rod for throwing 2 oz. lures with 10# line and a 20# leader, with a Stradic 5000 reel. I used a new concept layout : Fuji BYAGs 30, 20, 10, 8L and then five BLAG 7s to a 7 tip. This throws that 2 oz lure 120 yards. If it wasn't for the leader knot, I would have used BLAG 6s.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster