I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat Arbors
Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 11:40AM

Hi Guys,
Following on from the recent post regarding Masking Tape Arbors I have a question about how easy it is to bore out the FC arbor that has been glued inside a reel seat. If you make a mistake at this stage you are into some serious remedial work. I have looked up on FC's website to see how they suggest the hole is bored out using bits and a power hand drill. What has been your experience of getting concentric bores to the OD of the reel seat. Nothing could be worse than having a cocked eyed reel seat languishing on a fine blank. Did you do it as FC recommended or did you find a better and safer way. I am interested in trying these arbors but want to ensure I get a quality fit onto my blank so any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Mike Oliver

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat Arbors
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 14, 2005 11:58AM

You can't make a mistake. Well I guess you can, but I've done maybe 15 now and it's pretty much foolproof. The bore will automatically be concentric because the pilot bits have an alignment tube on the nose. They follow the 1/4 inch bore already in the arbor. You end up with a perfect concentric bore every time. I think Rodmaker mag had a pictorial essay on how to do this step by step awhile back. It's REALLY easy and REALLY quick.

Posted by: Mike OLiver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 12:04PM

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the fast response.

Regards

Mike O.

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 12:07PM

Mike,

I just cut them in two equal length pieces and hand reem to fit the blank where the seat is to be mounted. It's about a five minute job and works like a charm. I do them this way just because Ihave never got around to making me some bits. I have the stuff to do so and have not gotten to it. That said, I have probably built 650 rods with masking tape arbors and have never had a reel seat failure as a result of them. There wil be people fpllow up by telling me how lucky I have been. I mostly build casting rods and now as a general rule use the reel seats the cut out and sized to fit the blank.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 12:20PM

Gerald I dont think that you have been lucky, just that you pay attention to what you are doing. I have never had a failure in over 30 years of building rods using tape but I guess sometime doing things the OLD way doesnt cut it in todays new hi tech everything world. I guess the question is why fix it if it isnt broken?

For me I just make my customers happy and they keep coming back and bringing friends. How successful do you need to be. Gerald there will be two of us left to keep the masking tape business in business.

Arbors work good too, not to take ANYTHING away from those who choose to use them.

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 12:50PM

James and Gerald,

I too have been using masking tape arbors for many years without failure, but I still want to explore new methods and materials in the quest to improve my build quality. I agree fixing for the sake of it can seem a waste of effort but we don't see too many Model T Ford's around and they got you very adequataly from A to B. I am not going to desert my proven masking tape just yet but I have to admit I have always been uncomfortable with it as a means of making reel seat arbors.
There just has to be a better if not necesarily a quicker way than paper tape., and which does not entail using expensive machinery to do it. The reason I origionally picked up on Tape was the fact if done correctly it's a piece of cake and no tools or machinery required. A plus in many a builders book.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: June 14, 2005 03:39PM

Flex Coat still gets my business as I buy my masking tape from them by the case. Jesse

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 14, 2005 08:12PM

Dale Clemen's told a funny story at a seminar. The subject was mounting reel seats and how he knew first hand what not paying attention to your work can mean. He was on an offshore party boat fishing with one of his custom made spinning rods. A fellow walks up and start admiring his rod. So Dale told the fellow that he made custom rods and was in the custom rod tackle business and how much better a custom rod was compared to a store bought one. Later on in the trip, Dale hooks a fish and while fighting it, the reel seat came loose. The fellow that he had been talking to earlier walks up to him and says, "So that is a custom made rod, huh?" Dale said that he didn't answer the guy, just kept chewing on the crow.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 08:21PM

I read that story somewhere too, maybe in one of his books or something. He did say he got the fish in and that he used a glue or epoxy that needed air to dry, hence it never dried properly if I remember right. I think with the event of rod-bond, the chances of this are greatly reduced.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2005 08:47PM

The first batch of FC 16mm arbors I got fit the 16mm reel seats perfectly, lately I've had to turn them down on a 1'4" mandrel before hand reaming to fit the blank. Not hard to do, but has anyone else experienced this?

Posted by: mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 15, 2005 06:00AM

Philll and Ellis,

You reminded me of that tale of Dale's. Isawit in a copy of his famous book on custom Rod Building, and yes he had used an adhesive that neede air to st it off. I recall the story well and his struggles to reel in a fish whilst trying to prevent the seat from turning around the rod shaft. Wonderful stuff.

Tight LInes and well stuck reel seats.

Mike O.

Posted by: Eugene Rehberg (---.an3.det15.da.uu.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 01:03AM

In the past I used tape arbors and never have had one seat come loose. I have since switched to FC arbors and love them. About a month ago I decided to replace the reel seats and butt cork on two musky rods of mine. The seats had been glued on with tape bushings; it took two of us about a half hour with a vise and hack saw to get them off!!!!!!!! They were really stuck, and never would have broken loose. Gene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster