I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I caught a 275 HP Mercury
Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.knology.net)
Date: June 13, 2005 08:40PM

On my latest grouper outing I attempted to move back on the spot by leaving the motor in reverse. I put my new grouper stick in the rod holder and upon putting the motor in reverse managed to get my line caught up in the motor. The reel began screaming like I had the boss hawg on immediately followed by a loud SNAP. The rod broke just below the reel seat where the top of the rod holder met the foam. I would like to repair the rod to its original state, however, could manage with 8 inches off the butt. My questions to you first involve fixing the rod to it's original state, How would I go about doing this?? Second, if I rip off the original foam and reel seat would I then have to remove all of the guides to replace the foam/reel seat? I was thinking I could create masking tape bushings for the foam similar to that of the reel seat and purchase foam that would fit over the butt end of the rod. Will this work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

P.S. I am sending pics to the IGFA as I think I may have a record (We were able to land it after an hour of picking 60 lb. mono out of the lower unit)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I caught a 275 HP Mercury
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2005 10:06PM

That @#$%&! Don't feel bad, I think most of us have caught a line in the prop at one time or another. I didn't break my rod though.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 13, 2005 10:07PM

Hi Scott if I understand right. The rod broke to the rear of the real seat. If this is true I would trim and square off all the jagged edges so the 2 peaces fit square., Remove the gimbe or but cap and find a old glass rod you could cutt to make a plug about 4 inches long (Plug should fite snug not tight). Using Rod Bond fill the butt section of the rod where it broke with a little over 2 inches of Rod Bond. Now shove the plug up in to the butt section to where 2 inches of the plug is exposed. Clean off all the Rod Bond from the exposed end of the plug, let set over night. Now put 2 inches of Rod Bond in to the secton that has the reel seat also put some R/B on the plug. Next put the 2 parts togather, alaign and clamp the 2 parts in place. You should have only lost abut a inch of your handle. If you have any question email me at warren334@myway.com
Good Wraps Bob PS you have a hidden email address

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: June 14, 2005 10:40AM

This is a fairly common repair in this area and I just cut the butt off flush at the end of the reel seat, make a plug the length of the butt and gimbal with a snug fit that goes in the end of the rod for the length of the reel seat, glue on the gimbal and EVA grip and glue the new butt in the rod. Make sure you align the gimbal noches so the rod sits straight in the rod holder Jesse

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster