I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hand turing vs. Drying machine turning ?
Posted by: Al Johnson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 13, 2005 12:58PM

All I have left for my rod is to apply the flexcoat. Was going to turn it by hand. My questions is will there be a noticable different if I hand turn it every 15minutes than using a machine? Is a machine that much better?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hand turing vs. Drying machine turning ?
Date: June 13, 2005 01:05PM

sorry also I wanted to ask. How to heat the flex coat to get rid of the bubble after I mix it. Also when you apply the finish what do you do about the part of the rod that touches the V-block that holds it up? if you put flex coat on there and turn it, won't it rub off?

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: June 13, 2005 01:20PM

"Also when you apply the finish what do you do about the part of the rod that touches the V-block that holds it up? if you put flex coat on there and turn it, won't it rub off?"

place the v block at a point where you won't be finishing.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.static.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: June 13, 2005 01:25PM

Al

From your comments, I gather that you intend to coat the entire rod with epoxy - don't do that - all you need to cover is the wraps. If you do a serach on this site you will find a lot of helpful comments concerning the application of the Flexcoat from how to mix it to avoid bubbles in the first place to how to heat it to get rid of bubbles. You can turn the rod by hand or with a drying motor. I personally use a motor because I find it more convenient but there are builders who can produce absolutely stunningly beautiful work turning the rod by jhand.

Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: June 13, 2005 01:27PM

I use regular build flex coat and I don't heat it at all. I just mix it up good and then pour it onto a piece of aluminum foil so it can spread out and release most of the bubbles there. Turning by hand is just fine. You might turn it more often than every 15 minutes at first, then slow down to every half hour or more later on as the finish starts to set up. If it starts to droop on the bottom, you should turn it (and maybe use a little less finish. I prefer multiple light coats). It takes a little more time from you, but works just as well as a dryer. And finally, you should just be applying finish to your thread or decal areas, so adjust your supports so that they are on another part of the rod.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: June 13, 2005 01:28PM

I have turned rods by hand and now use a machine. As long as you remember to rotate the rod 90 degrees every 15-20 minutes there really isn't any difference in the results. I use a machine because twice I forgot to rotate a rod and had to strip off the finish and re-do it.

I'm not sure I understand your second question. Were you planning to coat the entire rod? The flex coat finish is only for the guide wraps not the entire rod. If you coated the entire rod, it would add quite a bit of weight and it wouldn't adhere to the blank very well. The finishes are not really adhesives even though they feel very sticky until they're completely cured.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2005 01:42PM

If you turn by hand, I'd recommend flipping the rod 180 degrees only as often as needed. As soon as you see it start to get heavy on one side, flip 180 and then repeat, but only when it starts to get heavy on the bottom again. The time required between flips will get longer each time.

I don't use any sort of machine or device for rotation and feel you get a better overall finished product by hand turning, but... you will have to babysit the rod for a couple hours.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com.136.174.12.in-addr.arpa)
Date: June 13, 2005 02:52PM

When I turn by hand I go through progressive stages. I start by turning every minute or so and go until I reach a half hour. Here's an example (the numbers represent minutes waited before a 180 degree flip):
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,15,20,25,30. At the end of this sequence it will have been about 2 hours. There are as many variations of hand turning as there are numbers. Devote 2-3 hours to this and you'll be satisfied with the results.

The only reason I use a drying motor is the sheer convenience. By having another full time job, my hand turning time is very limited. I usually apply the finish and then wait about 5 minutes. During that time I allow the finish to sag & drip a couple of minutes, remove the excess, and repeat. After that time I turn my motor on & head out to work. If I didn't have other things to be doing, I would simply turn them all by hand.

Best of luck.

Jay

Date: June 13, 2005 03:17PM

when I said "Also when you apply the finish what do you do about the part of the rod that touches the V-block that holds it up? if you put flex coat on there and turn it, won't it rub off?"

It seems I was confused. All of the pictures I saw of the V blocks being used one was always foward in between the guides. I wasnt planning on coating the whole rod, I was thinking you leave it that way when you support it. Haha I was a little early when I posted. Silly mistake. Putting it on a place where it isnt being applied makes alot of sense now!!

thanks

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-03rh15rt.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: June 13, 2005 03:46PM

Hey tom, i had a post in this thread and now it is gone. did i do something wrong? i'm pretty sure i put my name and email address in there.

Date: June 13, 2005 04:06PM

I have no idea - I didn't see it.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 13, 2005 09:07PM

Larry; memory's the first thing to go... I think... shoot, I can't remember!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: June 13, 2005 10:02PM

putter, i was thinking the same thing. perhaps i just dreamed it.

Posted by: Miike OLiver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 01:58PM

Tom

I too hand turn, but unlike yourself I turn the rod at about 15 revs a min right from the off for about 30 mins and then go to the 180 degree turn every three minutes depending on room temp and how the finish is setting up. I find that I can leave the rods alone after about 1.5 hours. My varnishing room is very warm winter or summer. I check on the left over finish in the mixing cup to se how it is setting up as a guide also by putting a big blob on the side of the cup and seeing how fast/slow it goes down the sides. I never let the finish sag. Now by doing it this way am I preventing the finish from self levelling properly. I have to say my results are good but like everyone one else here I would like to improve on my current std. Before turning by hand I do level off my finish by one eigth inch wide flat brush so it is pretty good to kick off with. This is the same brush that is used to apply the finish, usually Flex Coat or Gibbs.
Be interested to have your advice and opinion Tom
Thanks

Mike OLiver

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 15, 2005 11:13PM

Have hand turned all my rods. Rotate 180 deg every 5 min for 30 min. Next hr every 10 min. 4 turns or so at 15 min with the last turn with the guides down. Number of coats will depend on the type of finsh used. Good luck-Bill

Date: June 16, 2005 08:48AM

Mike,

I just turn mine as they need it. And always 180 degrees per turn or flip. But if what you're doing works for you, I'd stay with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster