I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Commercial Rods
Posted by: Capt. Ron Alley (---.r02.scbuft.infoave.net)
Date: June 11, 2005 01:31AM

Hate this to sound like another survey , but I get this enough now that I need an updated opinion. If someone comes to you for a custom rod and finds the lead time too long and says "what do you recommend for a commercial rod" what is your opinion? Use classification as fly, fresh, and salt to apply. I know mine but no longer sure. Thanks for a response. Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Commercial Rods
Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2005 03:01AM

St. Croix for fly rods for me. The other name brands are for snobs who have nothing else to do but blow hundreds of dollars to fatten some advertising executive's bank account :).

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.151.242.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: June 11, 2005 05:43AM

AMEN Scott....

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 11, 2005 09:16AM

The "I know mine but I am no longer sure" is very appropriate. Three years ago I would have told you to get a Falcon, Allstar, Castaway or Kistler for inshore popping rods. You would have probably spent upwards of $ 150 for the better versions. Now if you look carefully in the discount houses you can find the above listed brands in the $ 49 - $ 79 range. Wally World presently is running a special for an Alstar 1.18 M Korean popping rodfor the everyday low price of $ 12.86. Note the spelling of the brand name - not a spelling error just plain devious. Evidently they too have caved in to the presure of doing business in China. My current response to your question is to shrug my shoulders, claim ignorance and ask them to plan ahead for their purchases of quality custom equipment.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.153.47.24.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 11, 2005 11:09AM

Cabelas still sells a great US made product for all types of fishing (at least for now)... Their dedication to customer service can't be beat by anyone in the industry, BAR NONE. I shop Cabelas exclusively for those reasons.

Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: June 11, 2005 06:45PM

I usually suggest Graphite USA for their variety, fit and finish.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2005 11:16PM

I'd have to go with G-USA, followed by St Croix for all round. I've got rods from almost any maker that I truly love from over the years though. The old Daiwa VIP's, Penn International, older G-Loomis (although the only ones I have are stock), and some Japanese makers. Cape Fears are nice, although I never understood how a 300 plus dollar factory rod could have hardaloy guides and that be "OK".

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.183.48.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 12, 2005 11:36AM

Rainshadow's have a nice finish and is as hard as steel.

Posted by: Capt. Ron Alley (---.r08.scbuft.infoave.net)
Date: June 14, 2005 08:40PM

Thanks for the opinions. I will be always locked into med-medhvy-hvy saltwater. It has just become a niche and Calstar, Cape Fear, and Crowder have become commercial (I can get away with) for a "buy it now". Phil you are reading my mail on Cape Fear but they will upgrade the hardloys to SiC as "custom" rods according to customers. When I build on their blanks, the oxides always are upgraded. Again thanks for the names, they are noted and confirmed that a" builder" still has no real competitor. Can we say we rule?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster