I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
what is your most hated task when building a rod?
Posted by: Peter Lai (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2005 08:19PM

I know what mine is, aligning the guides. No matter how many times I check and re-check, They never seem absolutely straight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what is your most hated task when building a rod?
Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 10, 2005 08:30PM

Adding trims bands. Too tedious. I particularly dislike doing trim bands on thin rods.

Lou

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 10, 2005 08:47PM

Deciding what type of thread work and color to do on a rod. In a couple of days I can have the handle made and then spend two weeks trying to decide on the decor. On your guide placement, I have a couple of ideas that might help you. I was watching a fellow refurbish a rod at a local repair shop. He would put the reel on the seat and pull out some line. He would then run the guides on the line and put the line through the tip. He would attach a small weight to the line to keep it tight. Then he would tape the guides which were centered on the rod by the line. I use a simpler method. I have a black line running down the center of the base board on my rod lathe. The rod is centered on V blocks over that line. I put a small amount of Flex Coat white hot glue on the guide foot. I heat the guide foot a little bit to soften the glue and press the guide on the blank which by looking directly downward over the blank I will have a centered guide. If the black line on the baseboard shows on either side of the blank while I am installing the guide I will know that I am not on center.

Posted by: David A. Smith (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 10, 2005 09:32PM

Saying that it is finished.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2005 09:33PM

Having the preacher ask me why do I always have tape on my coat sleeves and something sticky on my shoes that marks up the aisle when I pass the plate!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2005 10:13PM

Cutting away all the thread and tape in the vacume cleaner "rug brush" thing, so it'll spin again! !!! lol.

Posted by: John Dow (---.215.252.64.snet.net)
Date: June 10, 2005 10:15PM

Static guide placement , and adjusting sizes .......... just not fun sometimes .

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas3.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: June 10, 2005 10:23PM

Cleaning up after aplying the finish, oh what a pain. I always seem to spill something on the workbench and myself.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.158.186.97.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: June 10, 2005 11:05PM

Finishing a rod and not having another to do right away.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.9.142.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 10, 2005 11:10PM

Wrapping beyond the first guide wrap. Tedious and boring as most my wraps have inlays. No creativity involved. Plus the smaller the rod dia. gets, the harder it is for me.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 10, 2005 11:14PM

Preparing guide feet. I'd love to farm that puppy out...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.243.239.202.Dial1.SanFrancisco1.Level3.ne)
Date: June 10, 2005 11:57PM

I am with you Putter.....Just look at the pics I posted and you will see that guide foot prep is not my area of expertise. I am much better at fishing them than building them right now.

But I am learning.

I have to agree that guide placement , spacing, and alignment can be a serious pain though.

Derek

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2005 11:59PM

Trying to find time to build. :)

Mo

Posted by: Dave D'Ambrosio (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 11, 2005 12:35AM

Telling the wife "Really.............just one more coat of epoxy and I'm finished!"

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: June 11, 2005 04:48AM

Waiting for finish to cure to see just what variety of Grimlins or which of Murphy's Laws I've run afoul of. I enjoy the rest of it all, well, ..., except, ah... backorders. There, I said it. that ugly word. LOL. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2005 12:42AM by Ralph Jones.

Posted by: steve parks (65.214.202.---)
Date: June 11, 2005 10:10AM

....giving it to the customer!

I always like the rod I'm building more than the last one and hate to give'em up.

I just built a rod for our fishing club to raffle off and I like that rod the most out off all that I've built. I even bought a raffle ticket....they kinda frowned on me when I did...LOL Oh well!

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2005 12:27PM

Building rods in the summer.....takes away time that could be spent on the water fishing!

Posted by: wayne chubb (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2005 12:38PM

Easily, epoxy finishing. After all the good, creative work is finished, you have to put a bunch of glossy junk on, and like the forward pass, three things can happen and two are bad. Actually, I've found alot more than two can go bad, but the saying fit. Have Fun!!

Wayne

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: June 11, 2005 01:16PM

Dave D'Ambrosio...how many times I have said that to my wife and children. Only to inspect it and figure I need another coat here or there!

I would say that I am with the majority, I hate coating the guides!

I agree that the trimbands and inlay work is a more difficult as the guides get smaller. And I would dislike that process too if I could just get past how much I had putting epoxy on the guides! LOL!

Second thing I hate the most is how anal retentive I am about my work. I never seem to be completely satisfied. Now, the few customers I have had thus far are full of satisfaction and can sing nothing but praise, but I feel like....Ahh, it's ok, I guess (inside)! In fact, my wife who watches me build the rods and inspects the final product for me can't believe the "mad skills" I have, but I just feel like there is so much more to learn and so much more to become better at before I'll feel that level of satisfaction.

Domenic Federico

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 11, 2005 06:22PM

By FAR its the epoxy step. Everything else is fine, I just hate relying on something that can so easily go bad.

DR

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster