I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

dry fly floatant recipe
Posted by: stanford yerger (---.157.56.240.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: June 08, 2005 04:47PM

Just completed a new fly rod and tied some adams but can not find my recipe
for making dry fly floatant. I really like to make all the items I can, would
appreciate any help, Stanford.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dry fly floatant recipe
Posted by: Dave Albright (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2005 05:31PM

I take the contents of the little capsules of dry dessicant ,and the little packets of silicone crystals
that come in pill bottles and other packaging .
I empty them into a small screw or snap lid container .
put my soaked and fish slimed flys in ,hold the lid closed and shake.
works as well as any that I've ever bought. leaves no powdery residue
and shakes off easily.

It takes quite a few of these to make enough to fill,say a 1 oz container .
a local pharmacy should be able to help you out . they get scads of them in their bulk packaging.
give it a try it should be all free!
mojotrout,
MOJOTROUT ROD CO.
NORTHUMBERLAND , PA

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: June 08, 2005 05:32PM

This is a stumper Stanford. Most pastes are a concoction of modern products you would have to buy over the counter anyway, so not particularly personalized. Many are silicon based. Some early pastes included animal fat, so I guess you could get some of this from the butcher. Mucilin is an English product available from Golden Witch with lots of heritage. I might suggest tying with cul-de-canard (duck butt) feathers, as these have natural oils for the personal touch you want.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dyn.avci.net)
Date: June 08, 2005 08:36PM

Here's a quote from a fly fishing BB that I copied down about 3 or 4 years ago. Have not tried it yet so I cannot vouch for this but it does sound reasonable:

"The best and easiest floatant in the world is simply paraffin wax and lighter fluid. Mix approximately 30% paraffin and 70% lighter fluid. Put this mixture in sunlight and the paraffin dissolves in the lighter fluid. You must allow your flies to dry for a few minutes after soaking them, but it is the best floatant I've ever used. Flies float forever! "

Posted by: stanford yerger (---.157.53.66.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: June 09, 2005 11:13AM

Wow, much thanks to all.
After much searching, found a recipe in Flicks book,
Mix a piece of Mucilin about the size of a bean with
an ounce of liquid of Carbon Tetrachloride.

Posted by: Joe Asinger (165.221.79.---)
Date: June 09, 2005 12:31PM

I know the amount of Carbon Tetrachloride is very slight, but do you really want to use soemthing like that?

I am not a bark crunching tree hugger or anything, but it seems that it is pretty nasty stuff even in small quantities.

I know Dave Hughes says the used to use parrifin and gasoline back int he day.

Joe <*}(({{>>{

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2005 12:34PM by Joe Asinger.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster