I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

For tops, regular guides instead of tip top?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2005 09:57AM

Greetings.

Read a couple of times that some have used guides in place of a regular tip top.

What are the advantages of using guides in place of tip tops, and the disadvantages?

(For the titanium Titans, the advantage is that one can use titanium guides as the top as they do not make a titanium tip top yet. )

Thanks!
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For tops, regular guides instead of tip top?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.222.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 05, 2005 10:05AM

Yes they do MO. Check out [www.amtak.net]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 05, 2005 10:33AM

The Titan tops are stainless steel, not titanium.

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.222.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 05, 2005 10:43AM

Your right Mike Sorry Mo I jumped the gun.
What about Fuji's ? All I see so far is a 5 tube on the fuji's as there smallest ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2005 10:51AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 05, 2005 12:20PM

I recently did a rod with a tip top made from a BNLG-25 top. Bent one guide foot over to parallel the other, and wrapped. Though I was careful with the asthetics the size of the guides and top made the rod look ugly as heck. His belief: The bigger the better for distance. Still, could not convince the owner that this was completely unnecessary - showed him one of my old sportcast competition rods (small guides), he was still not convinced. As long as he's happy I am happy, though I hope he never tells who built the rod for him.....

Lou

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2005 06:29PM

Mo Yang,
The tips and the small guides that preceed it do not line up when using most guide types. The hole in the tip sits lower than the hole in the guide. This results in the line having to change direction a little at the tip. If a single footed guide is used as a tip instead of a conventional tip this problem can be eliminated.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 05, 2005 06:55PM

The only disadvantage I've had happen to me on the one rod I have like this is that if my line is getting a bit curly on me, it tends to hang up on the guide worse than on braced spinning tip tops. Not terrible, but a bit worse, Mo.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2005 01:14AM

Thanks to all who responded.

A couple of follow ups:
1. Is it difficult to wrap the tip using a regular guide? It seems like the tip will be very 'floppy' when being wrapped.

2. Best educated guess: Would a wrapped fly guide (i.e. size 6) be about the same as a tip top?

Thanks again!
Mo

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu)
Date: June 07, 2005 01:26PM

Do any of you guys who have used a guide as a tip have pictures that you could post? I'm curious to see what this actually looks like. In my head, it seems that this would be unacceptably ugly.

Thanks,
Peter

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: June 07, 2005 02:40PM

Man, I built that rod in 1986. I don't know if I'd want to post a pic of it... I could email it to you if you'd like. Email me and let me know...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 08, 2005 01:04AM

Just received my new single foot guides in the mail, for a 9' 4wt. I am fixing to do just that. Use a single foot guide instead of a tip top. Haven't figured it all out yet but the last 3-6 guides will all be #6 ceramic single foot guides....including the tip top. I think these guides keep line more distant from the rod blank itself and the centerline of all the last guides, to include the tip will all be the same distance to the rod, clear out the tip as well.....all on the same plane. I am sure this is not the case if I used a tube tip top. I think the #6 ceramic single foot equates to a #1 wire double footed shake guide. If it comes out ugly.....you won't be getting a look at it...........<grin>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster