I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Problems
Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 09:41AM

I am currently building two grouper rods and upon applying the second coat of epoxy I am noticing that the epoxy is not sticking in some places. The first coat goes on great and I make sure not to touch the epoxy after it dries as to not contaminate, however, the second coat always comes out with dimples, regardless of how much epoxy I apply. The problem I have now is that there is a sufficient amount of epoxy on the guides and I don't want to have to put a third coat on to cover the dimples especially if the third coat does the same thing. I was thinking of putting a light coat of permagloss on. Any suggestions on why this is happening and what to do now.

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Problems
Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: June 03, 2005 10:06AM

I would guess there was some contaminate on the first coat of epoxy, on your brush, or in your mixing cup.
If it were me, I'd take some 300grit paper, lightly sand down the whole guide, clean with denatured alcohol, and apply a thin third layer.
RB

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2005 10:08AM

If you applied the second coat after the first had already been on the rod for more than a couple days, what has happened is that the first coat is repelling the second. This is normal because hard and glossy surfaces tend to repel things that are applied to them.

What you should have done, is scuff the first coat with Scotchbrite before applying the second coat. Not that it helps you much now.

Applying Permagloss over what you have there will just likely create even more of a mess. I would scuff the finish, apply another coat of epoxy. If you feel that's going to put too much weight on the wraps/rod, then it may be time to either sand the wraps down and re-coat, or just strip them off and start over.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 10:39AM

Thanks for the replys. On the Flex Coat website it mentions to thin epoxy by adding a small amount of acetone, do you recommend this? Tom, do you always scuff the first coat with Scotchbrite before applying the second coat? Why does this only happen sometimes if it is natural for all hard and glossy surfaces to repel things applied to them?

Scott

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (---.relistar.com)
Date: June 03, 2005 10:50AM

You should only need to scuff the first coat if you wait more than 24 hrs to apply the second coat. IF you apply within this window things should not repel. At least this is my experiences.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2005 11:10AM

I would never add a solvent to my epoxy finish.

If the epoxy has not cured very far, and it won't have done so in less than 48 hours in most cases, then it won't repel a second application and in fact, the two will meld and become one single coat. More than about 48 hours, however, and you now have two separate coats.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 08:44PM

"the two will meld and become one single coat"

I have to add to that, the two may? meld..... and they may not, depending on the epoxy underneith.

I had a few troubles starting out with epoxy until I figured "my" way of doing it. In this learning curve, I had a rod with epoxy that would not dry, it got to the point where it was still slightly tacky and stayed there. I re-coated as instructed by the all the builders and the epoxy maker.

The re-coat sat up just fine (new bottles of epoxy-same brand) After a week or two I decided to see how "set" the epoxy really was and if the two did in fact meld. To my dis-may, I could "roll off" the hard topcoat and still had the sticky problem with the 1st epoxy underneith. Nothing "melded". The new coat that DID set, was applied thin as instructed and let cure until it was tough hard, but that didn't effect the undercoat/1st coat, that never set up.

Maybe it was just "me", or my case, or my epoxy on the 1st coat was a bad batch...who knows?.....but I know this, I'll never recoat over sticky epoxy that doesn't set again. I think the best policy is just rip it off and start over however painful that may be....at least you know it's done right with that method.

Taking the time to measure out your two parts of epoxy PERFECTLY, sure is worth the effort!

DR

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.48.190.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 09:53PM

DR
Glad you mentioned that. I have never had to recoat any undried epoxy and now that I have herd you if it ever happens I don't think I ever will.
I wonder if others have had the same problem but did not want to say it did not work because they thought it was there fault ??

Date: June 05, 2005 10:54PM

May be Bill?....I'm surely not scared to speak the truth......

I know it was most likely my fault.

The re-coating thing to me with epoxy being soft and will not dry under, just didn't seem like such a good idea. So.....I wanted to test it out and see if it really did meld together and be "ok". As you read above, it DIDN'T. I stripped it all off and re-did it correctly.

Seemed like I was just covering up something gone bad and I just couldn't/wouldn't leave it alone until I knew for myself if doing such was the "right" thing to do.

Like you said, and I agree, I'll never "cover" another :-)

DR

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.14.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 06, 2005 10:27AM

I don't know what happened in your case. A lot is said here to mix another batch and if mixed right it will harden correctly.
I guess maybe yours did not mix together ??
Maybe if as much as possible was taken off and there was hardly any unmixed , it would be alright ??
I take my syringes now and have " A ' and " B " marked on them.
I now put permagloss on them to keep the letters from smearing off.

Date: June 06, 2005 10:46AM

"Maybe if as much as possible was taken off and there was hardly any unmixed , it would be alright ?? "

Thats exactly what I did. I had a very thin 1st coat that dried fine, the 2nd is what stayed sticky, the third covered the sticky. I finally removed the third, the sticky one and redone it from the 1st light one up. That will work and is fine, you've removed the problem.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster