I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Public thanks to Mick McComesky
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 02:33AM

This forum has just been incredibly helpful and appreciate so many of you for your comments directly helping me figure out what we need for our type of waters/goals etc. There are too many to name including, of course, Tom Kirkman but also the likes of Don Davis, John Launstein etc.

Want to publicly thank Mick McComesky for really going above and beyond by offering to grind my first set of titanium guides to illustrate a properly ground guide. He actually did a bunch - more than I needed for an entire rod! (In the past, wrapped without grinding any feet.) And he refused any form of payment which I was more than willing to offer.

Tom, hope the above is OK. If not, feel free to delete this.

Thanks again!
Mo

ps: I really wanted to thank Mick as an example of the generosity on this board and he was OK with this although it was probably reluctant permission. Of course, with everyone being so gracious on this board, I'm sure Mick's not going to suddently get swamped with requests.....:)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Public thanks to Mick McComesky
Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: June 03, 2005 05:42AM

Hi Mo,
yes that is the beauty of this place. I just received some spools of older thread for a Hardy Fibalite Perfection that I'm restoring from Dirk Gärtner in Germany - free of charge and with a smile and some good advice also.

And this has been my experience with rodbuilders from this board - always offering to help others.

I wish this attitude would rub of on the rest of the world ;-)

Peter

Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.wellsfargo.com)
Date: June 03, 2005 12:01PM

Mo,

I too have been very impressed by the generosity on this board. I wanted to build my 4 yr old neice her first rod, so i asked on the forum where to locate a small blank for sale. A wonderful gentlemen responded from Maryland that he had a couple of short blanks that would work. He not only refused to allow me to pay for them, he also sent me a pistol grip and 2 sets of guides to complete the project!! All that he wanted in return is that the rod go to a kid, how great is that.

Carrington

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.127.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 03:03PM

Mo
Did you go Titans or Fuji?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 03, 2005 04:27PM

Mo,

You may have just created a monster!! According to Laurel, his head is big enough already!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.9.73.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 09:25PM

Mike, whenever my head gets to swelling a bit, she does a great job of knocking me back into my place. hahah

No big deal really, I just had a moment of weakness and found myself pitying the inept and hapless Mo. hahaha It was really my pleasure Mo. Plus, I don't get a chance to do too many titanium guides so it helps me out too. The more I get to work with them, the more I get to learn them a little more. Win/win for both of us!

Lot of great people here who will gladly lend a hand when needed. Even Mike (above) is capable of it! He made me a beautiful wood grip with burl cork accents, just cuz. Of course, my wife immediately claimed it as her own for her first rod that she is slowly getting geared up to build.

Date: June 04, 2005 02:15PM

Mick,

'Inept and hapless' is right! I think I'll bolt those nicely prepared guides on with the rod. Sure's easier than having to wrap them....:)

Thanks again!

Mo

Date: June 04, 2005 02:17PM

Bill,

Forgot to answer your question. Went with the Titans. Fuji is lighter and looks better to me (TATSG) but cost too much.
Also looking at the recoil.

Mo

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.222.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 05, 2005 09:07AM

Fuji's are lighter ?? Did not realize that. Then again the cost of Fuji's

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.45.100.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 05, 2005 09:40AM

Mo, you could always go with some small hose clamps to mount them ;)

Those Titans are really some sweet guides. I'm still amazed at how light they are. I was a skeptic when they started coming out until I picked one up. Even when holding a large spinning guide, it's hard to believe that you have a large piece of metal in your hand. As light as they are, it's also hard to believe that they will take any abuse... until you start to work on them. Anybody who is looking for weight savings will do well to go with these, if you have the means. Unlike the super alloy rings, IMO, Ti framed guides are worth the money if weight is a concern.

Date: June 06, 2005 01:19AM

Bill,

I'm not sure but I think that for Fuji SICs, ONLY the single foot (literally one single foot) TATSGs are lighter than these. Otherwise, I think they are pretty similar with other Fuji titanium SICs. I did read somewhere that when you get down to the size 6s, the fujis are lighter by maybe 10-20%? Vague memory here. On the size 6 titans, there's quite a bit of metal in the hoop around the ring. If someone was hyper precise about it, these can be filed down in my opnion. I'm not going to take that kind of time. But size 5s of the Titan in the fly are quite a bit smaller than the size 6 and should be great for us.

In the larger sizes (i.e. 20 and up), the Titans are about 40% of the Fuji's prices so that's pretty decent.)

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster