I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Off subject but more time to build rods and tie flies
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 09:10PM

Today at 2:30 PM, after 40 years with The Memorial Herman Hospital System, I clocked out for the last time. I am a man without a job. The CEO told me I still could change my mind and go for 50 years. However, this cowboy is tired. It has been a good ride but it is time to hang up the spurs. Every one at the farewell party asked me what I was going to do with my time. I have quite a few rods to build. I started preparing for retirement a year ago and started buying blanks to build on and plenty of fly tying material. I am going to reread all my back issues of Rod Maker. I am going to improve my weaving and heck, I might even go fishing. Actually, I am nervous not having a fixed schedule anymore but I think I will get over it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off subject but more time to build rods and tie flies
Posted by: joe klepeis (12.161.193.---)
Date: June 01, 2005 09:37PM

ellis
good luck enjoy your self be happy!
joe.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 10:06PM

You lucky dog!!!Have a happy and healthy retirement.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 10:16PM

That's great, Ellis. Sleep in that first day but don't make a habit of it!! Cheers,

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 10:29PM

You'll love it!! I did it in December and aftera weird adjustment period, it's great!!

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 10:35PM

Off subject but more time to build rods and tie flies

and tell fishin' lies!!!

Posted by: Allen Madsen (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 10:53PM

May your best day in the past 40 years be equal to your worst day in your next 40 years

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 11:48PM

GO BACK FOR 50. I retired from the Navy and started the rod business and have worked twice as hard as I ever did in the Navy.

No actually I wish you a happy retirement and MANY great fishing trips. Keep the rod building fun and if you need any help from me on weaving just let me know. CONGRATS

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca1.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: June 02, 2005 12:08AM

After the first month you'll wonder how you ever had time to go to work.

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: June 02, 2005 09:53AM

Ellis,

Don't ever look back, cause you are gonna grow to love retired life. It sure ain't bad when you can take an after breakfast nap as well as a short after lunch nap.

I have been retired going on 13 years and have admit I have loved every minute of it, and you will find that you will too. Remember to take your good looking bride out on a date every Saturday night. we have just as much fun as we did when we were kids.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Scott Olex (198.133.100.---)
Date: June 02, 2005 10:50AM

Congratulations on the retirement.

Posted by: MaryLouVandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: June 02, 2005 02:26PM

Congratulations Ellis.....
I often wonder how I ever found the time to go to work !! I am working harder in my retirement,and just loving it !! Because I am working for myself !! Woo-Hooo !!
Oh yes, I have improved !! Used to get up at 3:30AM, now I am sleeping late, up at 4:30 AM.......

Ellis....
If you need more feathers, just let me know.........
ML

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 02, 2005 06:38PM

Putter, I slept late. Gerald, I took a nap. Tomorrow a trip across town to a tackle shop to pick up some American Tackle guides and some grips for four surf rods that I am building. Next, a trip to a local fly shop to browse.
Mary Lou, if you need some more tools, let me know. If you need a cork clamp, I can make you one and yes I could use more feathers.
The last week in July the wife and I are going to Boise, Idaho for the "jaialdi," or Basque festival then down to San Diego for some fishing with my son.
Jim, if you live near SD I would like to stop by and visit with you and maybe see you in action on a weave.
Cheers everyone, Ellis

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: June 02, 2005 08:05PM

Congratulations Ellis!

I've been retired for nearly six years and have never, ever regretted the decision. You'll find you have the time to tend to things/interests you always wanted to, and will begin to wonder why you don't have enough hours to do everything you wanted to do when retired.

Sometimes I might turn a couple of reel seats in my pajamas, after a few cups of coffee, and on my time schedule. Have to wash the jammies everyday, which wears them out quickly.

It's fun to wrap a few guides or work on a weave for several hours prior to bathing/shaving, etc.

You and you're spouse are both likely to be happy with this "retired situation, but you have to take time to sometimes cook, wash dishes, mop floors, etc. Life is a compromise - a pleasant one for the retired individual and loved ones.

Best wishes,

Stan

Posted by: MaryLouVandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 10:51AM

Ellis....
I will be glad to send you more feathers, so please send me your address.........
ML

Posted by: John Dow (---.213.252.64.snet.net)
Date: June 04, 2005 03:56PM

Good luck , enjoy your retirement !! John

Got Fish ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster