I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Invisible thread wrap
Posted by: Robert Roos (---.lsanca54.covad.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 07:04PM

Greetings all; I am trying to wrap my newest blank in, for lack of a better term, an invisible thread design. I would like the guides to appear to be floating free. Therefore, I guess I need a wrapping thread that will appear clear and transparent when the finish is put on. I have run into a wall, and even had Gudebrod send a sample of something they felt may work (it didn't). Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm running short on time, and may have to give up the idea and drive on in my usual fashion. Thanks for any input. Robert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Invisible thread wrap
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 07:10PM

Check some of the bamboo forums, you may have to use silk.

Mark

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 01, 2005 07:19PM

Fine white silk with finish applied directly is your best bet.

Posted by: James Schuldes (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 09:33PM

You might try this (on a test blank first):

Use some sort of glue to position the guides correctly.

Then use some fiberglass mesh to "wrap" the guides - and you probably need to use some glue of some sort to hold it in place - maybe "Crazy Glue" (cryocyanatic what ever it is.) Then epoxy over that - fully soaking the "fiberglass" mesh. Maybe you can just fully soak the mesh and lay it around the blank and the guide foots - when the epoxy hardens - it will have the shear strength to hold the guides - I am guessing.

The newer (compared to 1970's) epoxies and glass mesh will go totally transparent when fully soaked and still have structural qualities.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 10:32PM

I don't know about the fibergass mesh but the finish doesn't add strength, only protection for the thread which is what secures the guide

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 10:43PM

Me thinks Mike's right on the money there; you do need to wrap the guide in place under tension. You'll have problems if you don't.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: June 02, 2005 02:16AM

Hi Robert,
if you are looking for something like this [www.rodbuilding.org] you'll need white silk and some kind of finish.
Also you need to be carefull not to pollute the thread with grease from your fingers as this will interfere with you wishes for a clear wrap. Next time I'll be using gloves since I run the thread through my fingers.

Peter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.31.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 02, 2005 08:05AM

Pete
I got to get some white silk!! I like it.
Do you dress up the feet any after preping them?

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: June 02, 2005 11:10AM

Use 7X tippet line from your favorite flyfishing store. See a pic of such on the cover of a recent RODMAKER magazine. I tried it and like it....

Good Wrappin !
David A. Fuller,
Great Basin Fishing Rods
Full-Time RV'r Traveling- n- Fishing
www.mytripjournal.com/FullersBigAdventure

Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: June 03, 2005 02:43AM

Hi Bill,
I was lucky - I didnt have to do any foot preping - both the Mildrum stripper and the Snake Brand snakes were just fine right out of the bag.

Peter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.71.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 08:41AM

I usually hit them with 220 sand paper just to give them some grip so the thread does not slip of the feet when starting onto them. It helps

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster