I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultralightweight wraps and finish....
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 01:06PM

Found out that size 6 Recoil spin guides and size 1 Recoil are bout 0.05 grams. This means 560 of them will make one ounce!

That said, it dawned on me that my wraps and finish may well weigh more than the guides themselves.

SO....for ultralight set up using no more than 4 lb test leaders, what's the best way to go get the lightest weight wrap and finish? I was planning on using size A thread and U-40 Permagloss. Should I reconsider and use thinner threads which will soak up less finish? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mo

ps: Yes, this may be going a bit 'overboard' in search of lightness but I'm not even close to what Don has done with his various 1 oz rods...:)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultralightweight wraps and finish....
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: June 01, 2005 01:16PM

Mo, the last few dozen rods I've built I have used size A thread (as always) and 2-3 coats of Gudebrod 822 rod varnish instead of epoxy. This protects well but leaves some texture to the thread like rods from the 1970s and earlier. The same number of Permagloss coats will give similar results and be tougher. If I had a way of dealing with the fumes from Permagloss I would probably use it instead. Another advantage to the Gudebrod 822 is that if you decide to strip and rewrap a rod, you can get the blank clean again much easier than with epoxy or Permagloss. This is an important consideration for me because I build lots of prototypes, testing out different things and stripping a rod is pretty common practice for me.

I'm sure Don Davis will chime in about his silk thread and Klass Kote methods. It sounds very light, low build, and attractive. Do a search for Don's name and Klass Kote and you will find his feedback on this subject.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 02:11PM

How about filing down the guide feet to the bare minimum, using a single coat of CP, then one coat of flexcoat lite? How heavy could that be?

Just a thought?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.42.114.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 04:36PM

How bout minwax spar urethane ???
Even an auto 2 part polyurethane

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2005 04:38PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: June 02, 2005 10:52AM

Mo. I actually weighed a stripper wrap and finish recently. It was .09 grams, so you were correct about the weight of the wrap. I prefer 00 silk, which is a bit smaller than the A nylon, which is about a 0. Currently, one coat of 840, followed by a thickened coat of Klass Kote. As this just barely covers the texture of the thread, I don't think you can go with much less. Steve's two coats of 822 sounds good, if you don't want to fool with the K-K. I am currently trying to figure out a way to build a salt water stick at 1.5 oz. I have a 1 oz. freshwater that handles a 5 weight (Dan Craft). I had to rebuild my micro combo after a trout bent the aluminum extension. It is now 4' 8" and sports a Forbes micro. 1.1 oz total. This sounds a little nuts, but I find that you get a much better feel for the equipment when you can keep the combo under 4 oz. I tested a 3.3 oz. Ross Colorado on a light rod the other day and it just killed it, even though the balance was pretty good.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 03:09AM

Don,

Not sure if you or Steve are still following this thread. However, can you comment on the durability of silk over the long run (years) as it is an organic material? My understanding is that it is quite a bit more difficult to wrap, requiring a deft touch.

Steve,

I've read quite a few reference about the Permagloss' fumes. How bad is it really? I just assumed that I could use it near an open window and be done with it. Not true? Super toxic? Have young kids around so this matters.

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.71.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 08:45AM

I use it a lot and the fumes are not really that bad. I like it on painted reel seats and wood inserts for it's hardness. Plus it is thin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster