I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split Grip Design
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 09:42PM

Are there mistakes that can be made with the overall design of a split grip. I have a customer who has requested a medium heavy IMB 844 spiral wrapped bass rod. During our initial meeting he requested a 1.75 inch front cork section butted to the end of a blank exposed reel seat. He is a two handed fisherman who casts righty and swaps hands for the retrieve. I have sized the parts and put them in place on the blank. The heel of my hand slips off the back end of this piece when test casting. What is the best shape for this piece of cork for a functional rod - tapered like foregrip or rounded on rear end.

What uses dictate the shape of the rear piece of the two piece grip serve and are there mistakes that are not so obvious. Any words from the wise would be appreciated. He has visited this board and wanted a marbled mid section and I do not want to overlook any substantial design flaw.

Gon Fishn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split Grip Design
Posted by: Don Jones (65.213.88.---)
Date: June 01, 2005 01:08PM

George Roth builds many split grips. He has pictures of several that he has built on his web site at [www.georgescustomrods.com]. Check them out, I'm sure it will help.

Don

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 01:36PM

Bill, on that reel grip shape I'd show him both the tapered and the rounded and let him choose, that way you are off the hook, it's a personal preferance any way you look at it. I've started putting together a few fancy jobs like I use to make, what do you think of this. Encapsulated butt grip [woodgrained 3"with buttcap] 8" golf grip with small end to butt, reel seat, encapsulated fore grip[ woodgrained matching butt grip with enlayed fish hat pin]. They are heavy but the fishermen love them.Most complain that they can't get in the habit of hollaring "FORE" before they cast but at the present there isn't a law requiring you to do so. Jesse

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 03:27PM

Jesse - I used all the "purdy" encapsulated tningamajigs I bought from you on rods last year. I wish you had a few of them with bass pitures on the outside and blown up with Nitrogen to lighten them up! This guy saw one of your pieces and wanted it until he picked it up. The Rainshadow weighs enough already!!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: June 01, 2005 04:42PM

Bill,
I think what you are asking is how long the handle sections should be for a split grip, correct? If so, it seems like the standard that Everything Bass , Revolver, and George Roth use is 2.5" grips, one at the butt of the rod, the other behind the reelseat. Personally, my hand falls off of the grip and on to the blank with that length. I have been using between 3-3.5" rear grips for behind the reelseat, and then either a 2.5" or 3" butt section, since I only hold that if I am two hand casting. So basically I would have the customer hold one at a few length's and see what is comfortable for him. Obe friend of mine LOVEs the 2.5" and says it is just the right length, for others, eh. not enough.

Scott Sheets

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.ca.charter.com)
Date: June 02, 2005 01:18AM

my first split grip was because i needed a rod to fish for a river drift trip.i only had enough cork to do a split grip.so i did it. i had enough to do a 2 inch rear,a 2 inch butt and a 1.5 inch fore.i fished that rod for 10 + hours a day for a week straight.i caught lots of steelhead on it during the week.i love how it fishes.the only problem was after half the day fishing. the rear was about 1 inch too short.it would make my hand cramp up,where it fell short of the back part of my hand.so i made a second and a third rod to fish just like it with a 3 inch rear grip.the 3 inch fits my hand perfect and i can fish it all day without that part of my hand cramping.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster