I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need tips on glueing tips!
Posted by: keith fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 02:04PM

I have intermittent problems with the tips I glue on coming loose and twisting. I feel like such an idiot because this task should be so easy.

I use a hot melt glue stick and order tips to fit the published tip size. On the tips I find loose I'll take and pull them off and it looks like there isn't much for glue on them. Probably not much advice possible to give here (other than basic common sense) but if anyone wants to chime in and help out a hobbiest I'd appreciate it.

Keith Fischer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need tips on glueing tips!
Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.ch2m.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 02:14PM

Keith,

What it sounds like is that the air inside the tube of the tip-top is excaping while you're placing it on the rod, thus causing some of the hot-melt glue to travel out along with it. Try cutting some thin slivers of the glue stick...thin enough to place inside of the tip's tube. Then melt the glue slivers so that they fill the tube from the bottom up. Then just heat the tube and place in on the rod tip....the glue on the bottom of the tip's tube will push the air out in front of it.

Does any of that make sense?

Bret

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 02:25PM

Take a drill bit or maybe a pin, bend the tip of the pin just a little. Use these to clean and scratch the inside of the tube - well.
Then lightly sand the tip of the blank for grip.
Use 5 min epoxy

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: May 31, 2005 02:43PM

Drop in a couple of slivers of the hot glue. I understand that the maker is going to market the glue in thin rods, which should be even better.

Posted by: Aaron Sappenfield (---.riv-mres.charterpipeline.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 03:18PM

best tip i've heard is put the glue stick in a gun. tip top glue sticks fit right in most small glue guns. take a small piece of finished wood, something that is a little slick to the touch and squirt the glue in lines on the wood. once the glue dries, scrape it off the wood and you'll have glue "rods" of sorts that will fit in tip tops. put glue in the tip top and break off glue above the rim of the tube. heat the tube to melt the glue down into the tip. Do this TWO times. when the tube is full on the second time, glue will bubble out of the top when it is filled up. scratch the tip of the blank with a razor, and apply a small amount of glue on the tip well using the heated end of a tip top glue stick. when ready to apply the tip top, heat the tip of the blank and the tip top, the tip top first, heat until you see the above mentioned bubbles, then the tip of the blank. push on the tip top, spin it and align with the spine of the rod. that's the way i do it, i learned it from flexcoat's method. works really well!

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 03:34PM

If the "hot melt glue stick" you refer to is the kind you can buy in a craft store, that is most likely the problem, it isn't very good stuff for something like glueing tip tops on. If it's either Flex Coat or Gudebrod tip top adhesive, then the problem is not having enough in the right place. Putting some inside the tube makes all the difference. I used 5 minute epoxy a couple of times and will never use it again. The tip top adhesive holds really well when done correctly and if it turns out to be out of alignment, it's very simple to correct.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 05:57PM

Use 5 min epoxy.

Lou

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 06:14PM

Use 5 minute epoxy.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: May 31, 2005 06:38PM

Ya'll must get it right the first time! I am always switching around tip tops and could not manage without tip top adhesive.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 07:02PM

Stay with this board Don and you too will get it right the first time

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 08:27PM

Use a single foot guide for a tip top.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 08:31PM

If'n I doesn't have time to do it right da foist time, when will I? LOL!!

No, we all goof up once in a while. With the 5 minute, the trick is to notice the goof-up within 15 minutes to a half hour or so of gluing. Simple heating, just like with the hot melt butter, errr, glue, will allow you to correct the tip top's placement. No problems, just make sure within that early time frame that you've got it right where you want it or you'll maybe have to buy another tip top, although I can salvage them, too, if I choose to.

I can always remove a tip top that's been put on a rod with 5 minute adhesive without damaging the blank. It's more of a pain to do it with out damaging the tip top with the pliers. I should really buy another pair of pliers for the rod bench and leave all the tape on the jaws for this little job. But they usually need to be replaced when I remove them anyhow...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 08:38PM

Putter
There was a trick mensioned here about tying on I think it was a heafty rubber band to the top and when heating it, the pressure of the band pulls the top off.
I always use pliers with the tape on the jaws ??

Never enough time to do it right -- Always enough time to do it over ???

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 02:02PM

Between the rods I build and the ones that come in for a tip change, I am installing well over a thousand tips in a years time. I use the big 10" Flexcoat glue sticks, the craft glue is not strong enough. On the rods I build I have started running the finish up on the tip barrel for extra strength. That was a tip I got off this site a couple of years ago. Jesse

Posted by: keith fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 03:53PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll adapt and do better.

The type of hot melt glue I 've been using is FerroLite, which I used for years to glue inserts into aluminum arrows. It has plenty of strength for that use so I assumed that it would not be a problem in tip application.

Thanks again.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: June 01, 2005 10:32PM

5 min epoxy

Posted by: Josh Martineau (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2005 09:13PM

heat the end of the tip glue stick and pinch off a small piece of glue, and while it is still hot roll it into a cigar shape. Then drop the piece into the tube of the tip top, heat the tube and put it on the rod

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster