I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spin rod length?
Posted by: Robert Schuler (---.delv.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 30, 2005 06:50PM

I just built a Forecast 9ft 4 piece 9wt fly rod, now I want to build a spinning version of the same rod. My question is should I build it as a 9 ft rod or drop the butt section and go with a three piece 7ft.. I have never fished a spinning rod longer than 6.5ft is there any advantage to going longer. I will be using the rod on the Delaware bay for stripers... Thanks Bob.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spin rod length?
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.sunriver.cmc.net)
Date: May 30, 2005 08:01PM

There is a rod called a noodle rod which is a fly rod built with a spinning reel . Sorry I cant give you any more info than that.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 30, 2005 09:23PM

I have a 9 foot 7 wt that I wrapped as a spinning rod. I love it for certain types of fishing. 3/8 of ounce of lead and you can cast the thing a country mile, and when we are out fishing mid lake reefs and sand bars for Walleyes, I can stretch my leader out to 8 to 9 feet and have some control of. For just general fishing I think a 7 foot rod would be better.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.157.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 12:56AM

Try putting some spinning line on that fly rod and cast it a few times and see how you like it. It will give you a good idea of how it will cast

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 04:08AM

I allready build some spinning rods on ALL STAR TITANIUM TRAVEL BLANK 9'(5wt,10wt.,12wt)+extension(ALL STARR TITANIUM and KISTLER HELIUM LTA).Leght of this rods 9'-13'.
With the rod build on 5wt. ,using FIRELINE 4LB.,leader SEGUAR CARBON PRO FLUOROCARBON,jig 1/16oz. i was able to catch one 33lb. paddle fish,fool hooked on tail(catches &releases) and a few 14lb. flathead catfish(jig 1/16oz.,BASS ASSASSIN CURLY SHAD 2INCH,CHARTREUSE GLITTER).
With long rod you can cast longer,you have more control of the line ,you strike more easy and the long rod help you to fight with big fish when you fish with fine line.
I am fishing on the shore with artificial lures ,4lb. FIRELINE ,small jigs and for this reason the longs rods hep me a lot.
Is very important to use light guides.I use SIC guides,titanium frame,long leg match type.
Sorry for my english!!!

Posted by: Nick Dazer (204.200.228.---)
Date: May 31, 2005 12:32PM

I would say it really depends on what you're going to use it for. When we sidedrift for steelhead, we are using VERY light weight and a stealth presentation. We have found the ultimate rods for this purpose to be 9-foot, 6-10# spinning rods. So, if you're looking to throw some light stuff, the longer, more limber rod would probably be an advantage.

-Nick Dazer

Posted by: Robert Schuler (---.delv.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 10:30PM

Thankyou all. I will go with a 9 ft and probably be building a shorter rod later on. Nick, Steelhead fishing in the northwest is on my aganda this year, that was the clincher for a long rod.
Bill, I did try the fly rod as a spinner, I added an extra long fighting butt giving the rod a spinner feel, it did not cast very well due to the size 16 striper guide choking down on the line, I think a 16 guide is about 4x smaller than the 30 I would normally use on a spinner.
I'll know for sure by next week when I get her done...Bob.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 07:11AM

I usually use a 20 for the first guide on a rod like that. My thinking is that I am going to be using a small reel and a thin diameter line that does need to have a huge 1st guide to funnel the line down. The 20 will get the line up and away from the blank and that should work for your application too, unless you are going to use a larger spinning reel and more than say 4 or 6 # test line.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.242.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 07:15AM

Don't foreget to take pictures

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster