I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about finish application- running down guide
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: May 29, 2005 12:52PM

I was reading another post about someone putting so much finish on that it started to sag and then wicked away the excess.

I've noticed with LS whenever I try to put a lot of finish on and then take some off, and even when I'm not trying to put a lot on, sometimes as the rod is turning it will hit the guide, then run down the foot of the guide and drip off.

Do you clean it off the guide after this happens? and how do you keep it from happening? Single foot spinning guides are especially bad, the little V in the foot of the alconites usually ends up with some epoxy.

Thanks,
Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about finish application- running down guide
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 29, 2005 09:34PM

Don't put a "lot of finish" on the guide wrap. I think the best way to handle the problem is to aviod it in the first place.

Posted by: russ blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 11:57PM

Gotta agree with Tom on this.....avoid it in the first place but I also think that your drying setup isnt level(lower at the tip!)
I will say this though! Even with light coats of finish and a perfectly level setup its tough to keep the finish from climbing on guides like BLAG's!!!
Unless someone has figured out a surefire way to prevent it on those that I havent figured out yet??

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 30, 2005 12:52AM

To answer your question, yes, if finish runs along the guide frame I will stop the finishing motor momentarily and wipe the finish off with a paper towel. I have my finishing motors set up with momentary open foot switches to take of problems like this.

Lou

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.82.165.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 30, 2005 05:02AM

Phil, I'm one of the guys who "pours" on the finish. Leave the guides facing upright as the finish sags. If using the motor, all wicking is done before the motor is turned on. If finish is being drawn up the guide foot, there is too much on and more wicking should have been done. That's how I do it anyway.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: May 30, 2005 06:38AM

Thanks guys. Tom's post definitely seems the most obvious... duh. Hehe. But seriously, I think the blank being level may be part of the problem as I had never paid it too much attention since I had never noticed any problems. Also, one of the rods I had the biggest problem with I hadn't put a lot of epoxy on. I didn't know the epoxy flowed onto the V of the guides until it was too late and all was dry. The blank being level is definitely something for me to check out closer. Mick has some good thoughts as well. Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster