I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripping guide placement
Posted by: Scott Patterson (---.s36.tnt3.frdb.va.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: May 29, 2005 09:25AM

Any hard-and-fast rule for location of stripping guide? I'm building a Forecast 9' 4wt 4pc. I've got the sheet on static guide placement; just want to make sure I hit the first one right. Thanks in advance; I love this forum.

Regards,
ScottP

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripping guide placement
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: May 29, 2005 10:26AM

Scott,
Put the rod in your hand with a nice comfortable 90 deg. bend in your arm while it's comfortabily at your side, reach forward with your stripping hand like you would to pick up the line. The stripping guide should be say 2 inches in front of the spot your hand touches the blank. Test casting can maybe show you a spot further out on the blank that seems to work better, but I wouldn't go closer.

Posted by: Ed Michura (65.124.105.---)
Date: May 29, 2005 10:26AM

28" from the butt may be considered a hard-and-fast rule for overall rod performance. Many will argue that the stripping guide should be placed to accomodate the caster. A review of anthropometric tables (American) will show that arm length does not vary much in our population. A wide range of individuals are able to effectively use flyrods with stripping guides placed for perfomance. This is not one of the cases where you should fit the rod to the angler. Grip diameter is probably the most important ergonomic consideration in rod construction.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.210.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 10:27AM

Grab the rod as if you are going to cast, elbo at your side. Reach for the line, don't stretch but be comfortable, put the guide maybe an inch from where you touch the blank or where you touch if you prefer

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 01:34PM

ICW stripping guides and arm length.......doesn't vary much? Well, when I was fitted for custom golf clubs I was informed boaf my arms were 1/2" shorter than the normal person of my heigth and shoulder width. If both my arms are 1/2" shorter than perhaps some standard, I am sure gonna fit that stripping guide to fit me, instead of a standard chart. I wonder how many people know the diff between their actual arm length and the standards? (these custom golf club makers measured every thing I are. Arm length to the floor, hand grip size, using a radar gun....the average speed of the club head, the flex in the rods I swing....etc.) The used set of clubs I was using, I found too short and couldn't stay down on the ball. The custom made set fixed the problem. I either had to stretch my arms or get longer clubs. <grin>

Jim
<never 10 words or less>

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 29, 2005 02:13PM

The first rule in rodbuilding should be that there are no hard and fast rules in rodbuilding!! What makes a rod "custom" are the little things that fit a rod to the user and make it better than a factory rod. .

Mike

Posted by: Ed Michura (65.124.105.---)
Date: May 29, 2005 02:50PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Grab the rod as if you are going to cast, elbo at
> your side. Reach for the line, don't stretch but
> be comfortable, put the guide maybe an inch from
> where you touch the blank or where you touch if
> you prefer

Why????

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 29, 2005 03:38PM

Ed must not have wanted to pick on you, Spencer, and your "two inch" rule. He chose Bill and his "one inch" rule ??????

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.237.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 30, 2005 07:14AM

Guess it's my turn in the barrel Putter ??

Because when you go to grab the line when you are stripping or casting you want it ( which is hanging from the stripper guide ) you want it at a comfortable distance for " you " unless you are building it for some one else. Some one with long arms it will be farther up the rod

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.dial.chilitech.net)
Date: May 30, 2005 06:17PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
> Guess it's my turn in the barrel Putter ??
>
> Because when you go to grab the line when you are
> stripping or casting you want it ( which is
> hanging from the stripper guide ) you want it at a
> comfortable distance for " you " unless you are
> building it for some one else. Some one with long
> arms it will be farther up the rod

The line does not "hang" from the stripping guide! It actually "comes" from the reel and it is "available" anywhere between the reel and the stripping guide. How can this be? Geez.

Date: May 30, 2005 08:01PM

Geez, maybe the stripping guide would work about one inch from the reel, then??

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.dial.chilitech.net)
Date: May 30, 2005 09:21PM

Randy Parpart (Putter) Wrote:
> Geez, maybe the stripping guide would work about
> one inch from the reel, then??
>
> Putter
> Williston, ND

No, and you know better. As I first stated ... 28" from the butt may be considered a hard-and-fast rule for overall rod performance. Stripping guide placement is most critical for rod performance and of least importance for the statue of casters. Stripping guides placed too close to the butt, choke shooting line. Stripping guides placed too close to the tip, create line slap. A caster's arm length has nothing to do with stripping guide placement. Casting and fishing movements of the non-casting arm are not controlled or affected by the location of the stripping guide unless it is placed in some ridiculous location as you suggest.

Date: May 30, 2005 09:28PM

My point being that the stripping guide placement can be conformed to the physical's of the caster. Shaquille wouldn't and shouldn't have a stripping guide at "28" " from the reel seat.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 12:24AM

"I did it my way" .........
finally.....10 words or less

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.157.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 12:40AM

Ed
Put the darn thing any where you want it. This is just one way to do it. Nothing is written in stone.
When you pull line or " strip " line you want it at a distance that is easy to reach " for you " some one else may not like it

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: May 31, 2005 05:17AM

I'd put the stripper where i touch the blank. The line hangs downwards from there if you have slack, wouldn't it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster