I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Happy Birthday Rodbuilding.Org
Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: May 28, 2005 10:07AM

Not even the rod building sites that actually charge you a yaerly fee for access can come close to the quality and features of Rodbuilding.org!! It is rare in this day and age to have this amount of info available at no charge to the users. Most similar but non rodbuilding sites that offer this kind of info have all sorts of pop up ads jamming your screen as you try to access things. So I want to thank Tom and all the sponsors for making this not only the best rod building site on the internet but one where you aren't fighting pop up ads or being charged a yearly fee to access all the various features. It looks to me like a win-win situation for everyone here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Larry Michaels (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 28, 2005 10:14AM

The only problem with success is that it usually leads to someone wanting to buy the successful operation. And when that happens things usually change and for the worse. Is there anyone that would rather buy a Shimano/Loomis over the earlier all Loomis blanks???

Kudos to this site and all the fine people. I just hope it stays like it is and doesn't wind up the victim of another corporate sale of some kind.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 28, 2005 10:28AM

Only one offer to buy this site has ever been made. It was from one of the rod building clubs. I really don't expect to receive any subsequent offers from anyone, although I suppose it could happen at some point. But that doesn't mean that I would necessarily sell it, even if the offer was financially fair. One of my main concerns has always been that the site remain as open and available to as many builders and companies as possible. I don't think a single dealer or manufacturer could own or operate the site in the same way it's being done now. And, I certainly wouldn't want to see the place ever become a fee based site. That would defeat the purpose for which I started it.

As far as a sale to a "corporate" entity, you have to realize that even with all the traffic and buzz you see here each day, this place is really very, very small potatoes to any large company. I just don't see any profit motivated individuals or companies ever being interested in something like this. It just wouldn't be worth their time and effort.

Posted by: Rich Pomponio (---.nas8.pittsburgh2.pa.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 28, 2005 10:34AM

I want to say congrats and thanks for making my entry into retirement a much more pleasant experience. The things I have learned in such a short time are unreal,and I am thankful for the oppertunity.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.158.189.210.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: May 28, 2005 11:20AM

Tom, Congrats!! I think all of us would like to know how do you eat, sleep, and fish, along with keeping up with this site and the magazine? You have done an excellent job with Rod Maker and this web site.

Thanks!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 28, 2005 01:59PM

Tom: My I also add my congratulations on having a great informational site. I have never met a group so informative and welling to share. I do apologize to all on my spelling !!! At times I forget to use spell check
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: John Campbell (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: May 29, 2005 05:17AM

My congratulations also. Absolutely one of the best of the best.

Cheers
John

New Zealand

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.210.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 10:46AM

Happy birthday Tom - gettin old LOL
Don't sell, if you do it will probably go down hill

Posted by: Mal Marlow (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: May 29, 2005 03:37PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND CONGRATULATIONS - RODBUILDING.ORG...................

A very big thanks to Tom Kirkman for making this website possible - I'm allways amazed at the level of knowledge and help from some really super folks
on this forum. One only has to simply ask and the posts just simply pour in with help and advice from people who may have experienced the same problems you
may be having.

Many thanks again Tom.

Mal Marlow

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 30, 2005 03:37PM

Yup, huge CONGRATULATIONS and THANKS Tom. Most helpful site of all that I've visited out of dozens for various interests. I feel that I will still be in the 'dark ages' of rod building were it not for this site. Though I have your book, this site really complements and refines the info I've need to make informed choices.

Two Thumbs Up!

Thanks,
Mo

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster