I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

feather suggestions for 2003 Forecast?
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: May 26, 2005 11:23AM

Well, my addiction is in full swing.

I'm building a 6'6" UL spin rod on a 2003 Forecast blank - it is the blueish/greenish/tealish colored blank. Anyways - I figured I might as well bite off more than I can chew right away and try a feather inlay. I have some pheasant feathers that are nice, but was wondering if anyone has suggestions for other feathers they have used on this blank and gotten good results. Also, would you recommend and underwrap, and if so, what color would look nice? My trim wraps will be Blue Dun w/o CP and sulky silver metallic trim bands. I was thinking maybe the same for a feather underwrap, or go the other direction and use a burgundy/garnet sulky thread that I picked up - maybe a nice contrast? Guides are alconites, reel seat and winding check are brushed aluminum. Thoughts?

Just a final comment - I cannot BELIEVE the quality of this site - the people on it and the information so freely given. What an awesome cyber-place. I cannot even begin to list all the things I've learned from this site. Of course, it is all costing me alot of money in compenents and tools, but, well, it's worth it! Thank you all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: feather suggestions for 2003 Forecast?
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.85.166.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 05:57PM

Rich, I have one of these rods in work at the moment and the customer wanted a "butt wrap" of feathers from her parrots. The feathers are all yellow, all green and some small white ones with reddish orange tints. During a trial run with no thread, most of them vanished against the blank. What I ended up doing was an underwrap of HT silver and gold, layed down next to each other and wrapped at the same time. Then started laying down feathers. They are all various sizes so there's no real pattern. I just keep adding them here, overlapping. It's just about done and all the feathers would have worked nicely by themselves. Now it looks sort of like autumn leaves. I don't particularly care for it, but my wife thinks it looks great.

Thread color is going to be yellow or green, with the other used as inlays. Not really sure yet.

I've used other feathers on these blanks and they all look pretty good. It's really up to you for what look does it for you. Do a test run on the butt end with both thread colors, add a feather and see what you think. Personally, I would probably go with the garnet, only because it's one of my favorite threads.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.161.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 07:30PM

Take a look at the photo page. You can see them there. I have done feathers over a base thread and don't like it. They look more classy with the right color right onto the blank

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 12:00AM

All depends what your after. I like both looks and they both apply for different looks. I personally like the contrast look and recently did a feather inlay on a pale green underwrap bordered with garnet and a lime green 3 band metalic trim. Looked great. I have a couple of the same blank you are talking about and on these I think I will try and stick to the blue/green/silver color scheme. Blue Dunn will go beautifully with this blank but why not look at combining it with a lighter blue or even a Teal blue. Your idea with the garnet sounds nice but if your looking for contrast I would probably go for the blue dunn underwrap with a garnet trim. Too much garnet may also be overpowering for the look you want to achieve. The fun is in seeing how the combinations look. You can always put a razor blade through it if you don't like it. I go through plenty.LOL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.165.65.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 07:10AM

Ya wind up with a pile of thread on the side of the bench LOL

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: May 27, 2005 08:40AM

Thanks all for the replies - Mark, I like the Blue Dun with Garnet trim idea - I'll be playing around with that one for sure. And you are right - if I don't like it, I can snip it off and start over!

Posted by: John Dow (---.214.252.64.snet.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 10:17PM

Rich , try some peacock body feathers , they have an erridesant blue green to them that goes with that blank nicely .Boarder the feathers with black trim wraps , looks nice . Have fun , JHD

Got Fish ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster