I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St.Croix Legend Ultra 898.4 Bob Clouser Signature
Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: May 26, 2005 06:38AM

This rod is marketed as a Bob Clouser Signature rod. Can anyone tell me if this blank is different from the ordinary 9 foot LU 8wt and how is it different ?

How would you describe this rods action and power ?

And last:
What makes a rod more suitable for casting clousers than others ?

Thanks
Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St.Croix Legend Ultra 898.4 Bob Clouser Signature
Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.243.---)
Date: May 26, 2005 07:50AM

I don't know fly rods like a lot of the guys here. And I haven't thrown a Clouser rod. But I do have a buddy that is a fly guy and he says that Clouser rod, or at least the old one, was the bomb for Smallmouth fishing. St. Croix took a lot of input from Bob and designed one heck of a Smallmouth rod. It's not just a Clouser rod, it's good for many Smallmouth applications.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: May 26, 2005 08:19AM

I have cast the Clouser rod in it's original 2pc. pre-IPC version, and matter of fact it was while being guided by the man himself near Harrisburg on the Susquehanna. That is a big river and they use a lot of sink tips and full sinking techniques, in addition to floating line in low-water late summer and fall conditions. They also throw a lot of their Clouser floating minnow which is a foam popper. Great rod for big water and big flies. For most of the bass fishing I do, it's more rod than I need but if I fished big water a lot, river or lake, I would not hesitate to pick one of those up and build it.

On a side note, the day I fished with Clouser was a real eye-opener. First of all, the guy is an excellent teacher and caster and extremely friendly. I brought my own 1985 Fenwick Eagle graphite 8'6" 7wt. to fish with a Cortland 333 WF-7-F/S sink tip (this rod CCs at 4.9/56). At the time I was not a very good caster and was frustrated by my inability to get much line out in the windy conditions. Most of my experience had been casting 30' with a floating line on small water. I said, "hey maybe I'll buy one of your St. Croix's off you". He said, "son, you don't need that", picked up my Fenwick, peeled all the line off the reel onto the bow of his boat and proceeded to put the whole thing out there (105') with 2 false casts. It was impressive. He encouraged me to buy Lefty's book on distance casting and just practice. Darn good advice and it came from a guy who could have just taken my $300 and said nothing.

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (---.relistar.com)
Date: May 26, 2005 10:44AM

Awesome story Steve!

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: May 26, 2005 11:10AM

Jason, it's by far my best fishing story, partly because it's 100% true (unlike many of my other fishing stories) but mostly because of how memorable that day was. I learned so much about flyfishing and lots of other interesting things too. I think the man truly cared that I not only enjoy myself and catch fish, but learn things that I could use the rest of my life on the water. His casting demonstration was definitely not just "showing off" - he was making a very good and very important point and it really stuck. My Fenwick and his St. Croix were like night and day but, in the right hands, they both can be great rods.

Posted by: Mark Loftin (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 12:36PM

I have gotten two different answers from St. Croix. The first told me it was the same blank as the standard model they offer to rod builders. Another told me it was specially designed as a blank and was not available to the rod building public. Who knows? Maybe somebody could CCS the rod model and then we could try and match it to the blank and see if they are the same or if there is any noticeable difference?

Posted by: Anonymous User (206.73.5.---)
Date: May 26, 2005 01:46PM

Peter,

I've cast them side by side (the Pre IPC models). The 8'9" is a little faster in action and has a little more power. However, they both load well with the same line at the same distances. The 8'9" is what you'd call 'authoratative'. Also, the 3" shorter does make a little difference in pleasure of casting all day.

Awesome blank/rod.

Thanks
Rick

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.arlngt01.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 03:04PM

That thing is a powerhouse...probably CC's at closer to a 10.5 than an 8.5, from my unscientific casting tests. Pretty fast action with a nice, soft tip.

Actually, if you've fished a Dan Craft 907-4 FT, the two are quite similar.

Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: May 27, 2005 02:48AM

Thanks to all of you - good answers as usual. And a great story with a good point Steve - more casting and fewer rods would be the better way to go.

Peter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster