I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

stripping guide position
Posted by: gene bethea (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 25, 2005 11:17PM

Looking at rods made in factories by Scott, St Croix, etc the stripping guides always are posiioned with the side support posts of the double foot at the back. My question as a novice rodbuilder is this......:Is there a specific reason for the brace posts of the double foot stripping guide to face the handle of the flyrod?I am using two stripping guides within 6 inches of each other to reduce line slap, thus allowing a smoother line shoot(my opinion). What problems would be encountered if I turned the stripping guides backward so that the support posts face the rodtip???? In doing that I think would further reduce line drag as the side braces would be out of the way of shooting line. I would appreciate your thoughts-gb-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: stripping guide position
Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 26, 2005 12:08AM

first of all i wouldent run the stripping guides 6inches apart from one another then your going to be adding more guides and thats going to take away from your rods action you might want to re think that over and as far as the guides placement go thats all on you its an appearance thing theres other double foot guides to choose from that are identicle from front to back that work very well for stripping guides dont rush it find what your looking for and check this sight for guide placement what are you building on by the way?????????

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: May 26, 2005 10:05AM

I understand what you're saying about the two "collection" strippers right next to each other. It really does help shoot line. I've found the best distance to always be right around 4". But, test casting will tell what the exact best distance is. I always use the "collection" stripper set-up on all my fly rods. It never hurts, and it almost always helps. For expert casters, it really doesn't do much. But, for all the rest of us, it can consistently add 10-20 ft. per cast.

On your double-foot stripper guides, just put them on however you want. There aren't any rules, and no really good reasons to do it one way or another (that I know of). Something else to think about: There's no reason at all to even use double-foot guides, unless you're just determined to make your fly rod look kinda' like traditional fly rods. But, the fact that you're using a "collection" stripper makes me think that you're not wedded to tradition, like some are. Replace your double-foot guides with single-foot fly models. On typical fly rods for trout (i.e. 2-6 wts.), a single-foot fly guide in sz. 10, with a sz. 8 fly guide 4" away will usually cast just as well as any double-foot guides. If you need larger guides (i.e. sz. 12-16) in your stripper configuration for a larger fly rod, simply use single-foot high frame spinning guides. The higher frame makes a straighter path from reel to guide, and you don't lose any practical strength. (I say "practical" strength because double-foot guides ARE stronger than single foot guides; however, a single-foot guide with a blocking and/or locking wrap is ten times stronger than it needs to be for the job its doing.)

The only times I even consider a double-foot guide is when the rod is a 9 wt. or larger, OR when the rod will be laying on a boat deck or going in/out of rod lockers quite a bit. Double-foot guides stand up to abuse (i.e. being stepped on or hung on a rod locker lip) a bit better than single foots.

One other thing to consider: If your goal is to shoot quite a bit of line, one of the simplest things to do is move your first stripping guide further away from the reel. Most factory rod strippers are set at 24-27" away from the center of the reel. I like mine 30-33" away from the reel. I just keep moving it further away until line slap starts affecting distance.

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 12:01PM

Mr. Andrew White,

Like your words. 'Methinks you are the person who graciously went to all the trouble to find a back issue of Field & Stream mag and package it and mail it to me, at your cost. I have it and appreciate it. I warned you it would take awhile for me to get it back to you. I haven't forgotten you and will will mail it back, along with some goodies for your efforts to help out a total stranger.

My question.......sorta along with this thread, I have heard of the term collection ring before. What is it? I am building my first rod....going to start out (all single foot fuji ceramics) with a #8 stripper, then a #7 tamer, then a #7, then the rest of the guides. Not entirely sure where to put the last #7 but hopefully it is part of the static guide. But, anywhoooo.....what is the "collection ring"? Is it the first #7 TAMER guide? If not, then what is the collection ring?

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: May 26, 2005 02:34PM

A "collection" stripper is a second stripping guide about 4" (100mm) from the first stripping guide. I've also heard it referred to as a "sine-wave stripper," as it (supposedly) absorbs the natural sine-wave that moving fly line forms. I've also heard it referred to as a "tamer." It's usually one size smaller than the first stripping guide. It sounds like Jim is just calling it a "tamer" guide.

Doesn't really matter what it's called. It really does work.

Regarding Jim's guide sizes, I would completely concur. My test casting has shown that not only can those double-foot strippers be replaced by single foot guides (fly or spin), but that I can often drop my guide size down to 8s, even on the strippers, without sacrificing any casting distance.

Posted by: gene bethea (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 10:27PM

Thanks; very good information, which i wrote down to use on my next rod; I am building a 6'6"-2 weight small creek rod, which i overload with #4 line in order to shoot line under overhanging foliage. I went ahead and used the traditional stripping guides, but the single foot fly guides would make it look better. On this rod I'm using a #10 stripper, with a #8- 5.75 inches above. That length was obtained thru trial and error while observing line slap (as best I could) I may need to cut down on that distance, and move my first guide away from the reel to help further eliminate the problem. Good info and thanks for the explanation; I learned something-gb-

Posted by: ding yew soong (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: May 27, 2005 06:05AM

I have a question for Andrew White on the position of the stripper guide. For your fly rod, you place your stripper guide further than the distances used by manufacturers.

Does this same thought apply for a spinning reel? I think it does as the line is hannging down away from the rod blank.

What about for a baitcaster? To me, this same idea would not apply as the line would touch the rod blank. In this instance, the stripper guide needs to be closer to the reel.

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 09:52PM

ICW with my guide sizes....I think Andy knew where I was going with it....and I appreciate his approval. Just FYI.....after the single foot #7 I am going ALL the way with #6's, including a #6 single foot guide for the tip as opposed to the tubular standard tip top. Again, I think Andy had that all figured out before he even posted........but fyi anyway.

Thanks Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2005 09:57PM by Jim Williams.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster