I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marbling-Liquitex Acrylics
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 25, 2005 09:26PM

I read on the board where someone (I'll check that out later) said that the Liquitex Acrylics work well. When I was over to Helena, MT visiting Stan Grace, I picked up some of these pigments to try.

To say that I'm unhappy with this is a severe understatement. Not only did I waste over $20 buying these worthless things, but I just wasted a few hours making sure that they're worthless. Finding out that Liquitex Acrylics were a "higher grade" of this type of product assured me that my previous failings with acrylics were just due to the inexpensive nature of the brands I had previously tried.

This stuff turns to snot almost immediately, not quite as bad as the aforementioned cheaper versions, but I couldn't imagine doing 6" or 7" of marble on a rod with it. I couldn't hardly make it through an ink pen with it and the stuff was spider webbing all over everything. Swirling it in turned into large knots of total disaster!!

Don't use acrylics in marbling. Maybe the Testor's works; I've used it without any bad results other than it's very transparent. But no other acrylic that I've tried does anything but turn ultra thick and unworkable.

This is, by the way, the worst information I've ever got from this otherwise fine forum of Tom's.

Disappointed in Williston (to say the least)
Putter

PS Any artists out there want to buy this stuff - CHEAP?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2005 09:34PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marbling-Liquitex Acrylics
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 25, 2005 10:08PM

My O My! I thought I had a poison pen. This is the kind of post I really like. I am prone to go out and get all the new stuff hyped - thank you dear sir for a candid straight forward post! I now nominate you to evaluate all colored liquid things that can be used to create swirley thingamagigs called patterns that will be approved for future funded the Puttersteen Chapel!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 25, 2005 10:29PM

But, what do you really think Randy? LOL!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 25, 2005 10:41PM

Randy,
I hope I didn't contribute to your failed experiments. I mentioned that Liquitex is one of the very best acrylics and has a huge color assortment . I had no idea you were going to use it with a pen. It is not made for that use. I thought you were going to put some globs down and swirl one color into another. Enamel paints are ideal for marbling due to their excellent flowing properties. Still I have no idea how you would use them in a pen. I missed any mention of using a pen in the marbling process.
What type of pen are you referring to? Dave

Posted by: Anonymous User (202.138.16.---)
Date: May 26, 2005 12:11AM

That's $20 of un-drunken PBR.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 26, 2005 12:14AM

Dave, all that you said was that Liquitex was a high quality acrylic artist's paint. You made no promises of any kind that it worked well in epoxy. No problem at all, Dave.

The pens are what I experiment on with all of these things. Much better than a bunch of junk rod blanks colored pretty laying all around worthless. I can give the pens to friends when I'm done with the lab work, anyhow. You can see some here:

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 09:06AM

Putter, I though you would know better than even try acrylics. They just don't mix in epoxy-period. You have made so many wonderful contributions to the art of marbling. I guess we can all consider this as a contribution of failed art. (Again) Don't ever think of using acrylics for marbling. They don't work. We have all learned thru failure.

Ed

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 10:19AM

Myles,

One thing for certain is that $20 worth of PBR would leave him with a sunnier disposition.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 10:28AM

Honesty I like that Putter.
What about the Tap Plastics tints?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: May 26, 2005 10:46AM

I brought some TAP pigments of Stan's home with me. He had several colors for me to try. I used a blue, a purple, a red, and white so far. The white is very similar to Testor's as far as how it blends and/or contrasts. :)

The blue and purple are very dull; no shine or brilliance to them at all. :(

The red is one of the brightest, shiniest reds I've ever used. :)

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: May 26, 2005 10:52AM

I make my colored rings with them. Find some colors need more then others. They are nice and mix well in epoxy. The red only needs a drop while the greens and blues seem to need a lot more depending on the shade wanted.
When I clear my rings they really shine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2005 10:54AM by bill boettcher.

Date: May 26, 2005 11:05AM

I tried the purple before the blue. I could see in the bottles that they both appeared very dull and lackluster in shine. The purple was dull, as expected, so when I did the blue, I loaded up as much pigment in the epoxy as I dared. Still very dull. Won't use either again.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: May 26, 2005 11:11AM

They should shine when cleared over

Date: May 26, 2005 11:26AM

The clear might shine (reflect light back to your eye) but a dull, non-brilliant color can never "shine". If the characteristics of the paint are such as to be dull, that's just the way they are. I guess I'd term this a "flat" paint or pigment.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 26, 2005 12:56PM

But Putter, did you like them??????? You need to be a little more specific!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster