I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alternatives to Klass Kote - smaller quantity?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 04:27PM

Sorry about this basic question. Did some search and read some posts on finish but still a bit unclear.

I wanted to use Klass Kote but after a call to the company, realized that the smallest opening order would run over $30 for the smallest kit which is still huge by rod finishing standards. A bit overkill for starting off as I'm not finishing dozens of rods right now. The reason I was interested in Klass Kote is that it supposedly goes on VERY THIN and thus, lightweight.

Any alternatives that are similar if not identical which will allow very thin/light coats and also durable?

Thanks again for all your help.
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alternatives to Klass Kote - smaller quantity?
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 04:41PM

U 40 Permagloss.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2005 04:54PM

Permagloss would be even more durable you can buy it in one-ounce bottles. Only downside is the much faster setting time. But, once you learn a good technique for application, you may find it to be less muss and fuss than the Klass Kote.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: May 24, 2005 05:05PM

Both Permagloss and spar varnish have the same thinness as Klass Kote. However, you must put on multiple coats of either and the Permagloss is best used out of doors. You can skip the reducer for the K. K. as you need it primarily for cleaning the measuring tools and/or brushes. K. K. is great because it covers in 2 coats, if you allow some of the solvents to evaporate off the mixture before applying the 2nd coat. The black can Varathane from Golden Witch is a varnish with CP properties. I wonder if you can complete the wraps with Gudebrod 840? This is water based and nearly odorless. I often use it as an undercoat for the K.K.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.an1.sea18.da.uu.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 10:18PM

I use Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane for all my guide wraps. It does take 3 or 4 coats but no mixing and it doesn't have the fumes that Permagloss has.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 10:30PM

Query on the Helmsman Spar Urethane - does the can go 'bad' after opening it a few times for the 3-4 coats or does it stay liquid as long as you recap it? I thought that I read somewhere that Urethane hardens once exposed to air.

This is a very helpful discussion indeed.

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 25, 2005 01:08AM

Yeah, the urethanes are like that as far as I know. I haven't worked with any but the Permagloss on rods. It's a moisture curing urethane and sets up fastest in high humidities. Slower in dry areas. But sets up pretty darned fast wherever you're at. It's a really tough, durable finish and takes some getting used to. Don't try to put too much on, it won't set up smooth, then. Just a bit at a time.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: May 25, 2005 10:24AM

I have not had a problem with spar urethane going bad in the can yet. What I do is open a quart can, mix well with a stir stick and then dip whatever I'm going to use out and put into a plastic cup or shot glass, just as you would do with Permagloss, and then re-seal the can.

Bob

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: May 25, 2005 02:03PM

And store the can upside down.

Date: May 25, 2005 03:10PM

Thanks Don, I foregot to mention that. And another thing don't put Permgloss in a plastic cup, it will eat it up.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 25, 2005 04:04PM

Not all urethanes are moisture curing urethanes. Permagloss is, but for every drawback there is also an upside. Because it sets so fast (and can be accelerated by having a steam kettle on in dry climates) you can apply mulitple coats in just an hour or so. Normally, for finishing rod blanks two coats is really all it needs. Three at the outside.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster