I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bubbless Mixing Procedure
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 02:29PM

I think Tom may have mentioned this procedure once before. I wanted to make sure I have the specifics down correctly. If I put a few ball bearings in the plastic flexcoat type mixing cup and use a ferrite magnet on the bottom of the cup to use as a magnetic stirror, mixing the two parts...does this work well? I was even considering using a small rectangular shaped magnet in the inside of the mix and one on the underside outside the cup to mix the ingredients....Am I on the right track?

Question 2- Anyone ever try mixing in powdered glitter into the epoxy? Got some pictures you can send me? Any recommendations on what type of glitter I should get? I would assume that you want a very very fine powdered version./???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bubbless Mixing Procedure
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 03:02PM

The glitters should be very fine; normally called "embossing". They work great in clear finish although a 2nd coat is usually needed as a few of the buggers stick out and can be felt. Sure doesn't work in marble, though, as the color of the marbling completely covers and masks it. It can be "huffed" onto the surface of the marble and a 2nd coat over top of that later.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 03:18PM

You don't even need a ball bearing - a simple swizzle stick held stationary while the cup rotates works well too. Cement mixer idea appeared on another popular rod building periodical 8-10 years ago. Works o.k. but.......let me just say I don't use it anymore.

Lou

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2005 04:57PM

The mixer that was outlined in RodMaker hasn't been covered before. The article gave some very specific instructions on how to do it so that it worked as advertised. The angle of the cup, rotation speed and size of ball bearing are all very important. They make the difference between a completely bubble free, crystal clear mix that sets perfectly, and one that might set up, or might not.

If you have the article, you may want to read through it again. It will definitely give you a perfectly clear mix.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 06:55PM

I built an epoxy mixer after reading the article in RodMaker and it works great. I still usually end up with some bubbles but that's because I am rarely able to remove the two parts from the bottles without there being at least a bubble or two in the syringe. I have holes drilled in the caps for the syringes and invert the bottles slowly but still get bubbles, unless my workroom is really warm. But the mixer is really better than trying to stir it by hand, IMO.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: May 25, 2005 06:15PM

I'm fortunate...I've never had a bubble problem.

I mix my flex coat light on a piece of aluminium foil.....2-3 minutes with a wooden coffee stirring stick that I rescue from coffee prison at 7-11. Stir and turn the two parts..using the side of the stick.

I then put it on the rod...

there are bubbles in the epoxy...but they all go away as the rod turns.

If I fear I have a bubble on a wrap..I blow on it during the turning process...but I rarely need to.

Maybe I'm way fortunate...or maybe the stirring on a flat surface helps...but I don't have a problem.

Keith

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 25, 2005 06:35PM

I'm still in the stone age when it comes to mixing epoxy finishes. I mix in plastic cups with popcicle sticks (until clear using flexcoat), then pour out on foil and remove any bubbles by blowing over the top with a straw. Once applied, I check for any signs of bubbles and if needed, remove by using the straw to gently blow on the wrap.

Have found the less I mess with it once on the rod the better the finish.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster